New To Composting

• 3 Replies

jdf

New To Composting
« on: September 23, 2010, 16:14 »
Hi,  I am new to composting, this is my first year, i have put all garden waste and fresh chicken manure onto the heap all year and it has rotted down very quickly since about early june, could anyone tell me how long to leave it and when to apply to the garden. ::)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: New To Composting
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 16:33 »
There is many factors to the time scale, when its ready it will be a nice texture and crumbly. I use my compost for the Brassica's mainly, when they are ready to transplant I dig a large ish hole, fill it with compost and plant the plant. The plant then benefits from it rather than have all the goodness wasted when it rains, which may I add hardly ever does in the tropix of Blackpool  8)
So it really depends what you will use it for.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 17:23 »
Depending on how much you have, I would leave until spring for planting as Aidy said. You don't want to lose any nutrients over winter. I cover my raised beds with partially-rotted sheep manure in straw before winter so that it rots down over winter and is nice and crumbly in spring. Also depends on how good your soil structure is and if it needs improving. If you have enough, do both.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

bigben

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 20:05 »
I tend to use mine to give a boost to things like courgettes or to part fill deep pots then cover with an inch of bought compost in case any seeds have survived in my home made stuff. It works out cheaper than filling deep pots with just bought stuff.

xx
composting

Started by Iain j on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 18:21
by Ivor Backache
xx
Composting

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 21:19
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Composting

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 11:47
by BabyStar
xx
Composting

Started by susiebeb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2016, 21:22
by ilan

Page created in 0.547 seconds with 28 queries.