New chicks settled and I am delighted!!!

• 7 Replies

jinty1911

New chicks settled and I am delighted!!!
« on: September 20, 2010, 21:33 »
Have had my new chicks a week now and they have settled in so well that one even took food off my hand today!! Well, had to bribe her with meal worms but so what.  ;)

The strange thing is that the smallest one seems to be the bravest.  Grace was first out of the house when we settled them in - took about 10 minutes, she was first out of the run into the garden and 1st to chase the dog round the garden, much to the dog's (kinsey) delight.  Kinsey has spent 3 years trying to get the rabbits to play chase to no avail so she just loves this game. Kinsey is a wee pomarian and not any bigger than the chicks so they arent worried by her. Think they just see her as a pest lol.  Unfortunatley she also has taken a liking to eating chicken poop so have so clean up every dropping all the time. Does anyone know if chick poop is bad for dogs?
Still dont know who is the top hen as have'nt seen any of them being the boss yet, but have noticed that they dont seem to cling on to each other as much as they did a few days ago. Does this mean they feel secure?
Cheer Jinty

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New chicks settled and I am delighted!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 22:20 »
lots of dogs eat chicken poop so don't worry  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 22:31 »
My dogs have to stay in the house while the chickens are in the garden, but as soon as they are back in there run i let the dogs out and they go on poo patrol....YUK!!!

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:04 »
Congratulations Jinty, life will never be the same now you're addicted to chooks.

Our hens and ducks freerange so there is poop everywhere.  We have 3 dogs, 1 is good, 1 eats chicken poo but the 3rd steals layers pellets (a tiny JR) and often becomes constipated so just watch out for that.

Good luck
Kathie
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:14 »

welcome to the world of chicken-keeping Jinty, they really do bring hours of fun  :D  we'd love to see some photos of your girls  :D

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:06 »
I am so pleased everything is ok, but where are the pics. :)

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:47 »
My Jack Russel Terrier (Sparky) will eat chicken pooh whenever he can get it  :nowink:  I am so pleased to hear  that your chicks are settling well. I would agree that some pics would be great !   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Laydies

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 20:54 »
Hi there, and really pleased to hear how well the chicks have settled - and our daughter's dog, Boris the wonderpuppy - now a 2 year old boxer - loves chicken nuggets - so we have to do a nugget run before he gets to go out in the garden - however, he still manages to find one  or two for a quick snack...  luverly!! doesn't seem to do him any harm, but we do try and stop him, yuk

xx
Settled in

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 09:13
by KathyH
xx
All settled in!!!!

Started by Wildeone on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 18:05
by Wildeone
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 28 queries.