wasps in my soil

• 8 Replies

Meggie

wasps in my soil
« on: September 19, 2010, 22:23 »
I dug my potatoes out yesterday, and think there is a wasp's nest somewhere under the soil!  Not sure what to do, as I don't want to get stung!   Hmmmm!!

madcat

Re: wasps in my soil
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 22:41 »
Just leave it - they are dying off with the cold weather.  If you meet a wasp at the moment they are really slow - old, cold and often drunk on rotten fruit.  Not aggressive at all.  The biggest risk is they don't have the wit to get out of the way of a hand or a knee ...   ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Meggie

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 22:47 »
Thanks for the info madcat.  They were crawling over the soil trying to get back in after I had turned it over.  Never saw anything under there though! 

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 00:14 »
Watch the area and find the entrance. You may have disturbed it but they will soon dig their way out again. If it is safe do do do without poisoning your potatoes get some powder or a spray from a chemist or a garden centre and apply it to the entrance at dusk when most of the wasps are inside. Beware the few always left on guard at the entrance.

If there are only a few wasps it is possible that the workers have already died off and what you are seeing is young queens which will hibernate for the Winter and then start their own nests in the Spring. I would have thought it was a little early for that.

Please do not be offended by this question. Are you sure they are wasps and not bumble bees?

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 00:19 »
There are several different types of wasp I believe.... some make their homes in sandy soil... some are solitary live on their own... one wasp to a burrow / hole.

A mate of mine did receive a nasty sting from wasps that had made their home in a nearby compost heap that he disturbed.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Meggie

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 14:35 »
I am not offended at all, but no they are definately wasps.  Not last year but at the end of the previous year I thought I had a nest but never saw anything last year and nothing this year until I dug my potatoes out.  Think I've definately disturbed something - they looked determined to get back in!

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 22:26 »
If you leave them to it by the time winter comes along there should be little left to worry you.

There are (as I said) many different wasps... some social types and some solitary. Some nesting in the ground, some in man-made structures and some in trees. Fascinating things. I guess you have seen the usual big-uns but not hornets?

Most amazing ones I came across were so called solitary sand wasps - there were hundreds of them each with its own burrow in the soft sandy field that we (50 ten year olds included) were using to camp on!

There is a bit of information on the web but I couldn't find a lot: Click here!  ;)

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 22:47 »
quick dig your spuds and then run. as others have said just leave them be and all will be ok you should not see them again at least not in the same place.

ps i ''think'' i seen a hornet a good few month back now hovering around the waterfall in the pond it was well over an inch long and fat not like anything i have seen before i could not get away any quicker then i did. think i was more scared for my daugter then myself. thats what i keep telling myself anyway

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 22:59 »
If you leave the little critters alone it is very unlikely that they'll come chasing after you....... unless of course you're very, very sweet  :lol:

xx
Wasps

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 17:04
by pavery026
xx
Wasps

Started by Eristic on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2006, 17:39
by Ian_P
xx
WASPS

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 16:46
by Greengirl
xx
wasps

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2017, 22:02
by Salmo

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 28 queries.