Growing cucumbers

• 5 Replies

belto

Growing cucumbers
« on: July 15, 2007, 14:09 »
I have a cucumber plant  .in the green house growing well Main stem has 3 cucumbers in various stages of development, also three side shoots all the plant has small flowers and beginnings of cucumbers. I am feeding and spraying on a regular basis , there are so many flowers I am sure the plant cannot produce them all.
what are the recommended actions to take now. Cut of side shoots trim growing tip etc
Thank you for any replies

digger1957

Growing cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 16:31 »
Hi there Belto.

I pinch out side shoots on cukes and if you have a variety that produces male and female flowers, pinch off the male flowers (the ones with no baby cuke behind them). I feed once a week with tomato food or comfrey tea. They do fine and we're giving cukes away at the moment- can't keep up with them!

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
Growing cucumbers
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 16:38 »
I pinch off all sideshoots just after the first baby cucumber so you get one per sideshoot and the main tip keeps growing. When it reaches the roof pinch it out and let one of the sideshoots take over. Eat the cukes small, every time you take off the biggest one it will make the next biggest one grow faster. And watch out for red spider mite, spray under the leaves once a week with organic bug killer whether you see signs or not 'cause they are their favourite plant

tomato-joy

Growing cucumbers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 17:19 »
I pinched out the sideshoots of mine and the growing tip whrn it got the the greenhouse roof (so about 6 feet tall). I've already had about 10 cucumbers off it and what look like many more to come!

If I had more room, I'd leave the sideshoots and see just how much I could get off one plant - there's a LOT of cucumber salad in my house this year!
trying to be organic...

belto

Growing cucumbers
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 12:30 »
Me again
I have heard that the conditions for tomatoes and cucumbers are different in that the Cucumbers like a damp warm atmosphere.
I have been spaying water on both as regular as I can. Apart from regular feeding is there anything else I can do. I am excited because this is the best I have ever had.
I rebuilt my greenhouse and It does not leak and I can take out panes of glass if the weather ever gets too hot

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
Growing cucumbers
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:39 »
Sounds like you're doing all right. Just watch otut for them spider mites, if the foliage starts to go yellow then you've got 'em. Now you need some good cucumber recipes.

xx
growing cucumbers

Started by jessicajake on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:37
by Kristen
clip
NEW TO GROWING CUCUMBERS

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 07:39
by cadalot
xx
Growing cucumbers

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:19
by lovemyveg
xx
Growing cucumbers

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac

Page created in 2.392 seconds with 28 queries.