Colloidal silver and herban liquid

• 9 Replies

louiseb22

Colloidal silver and herban liquid
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:59 »
 Hi Guys
I am new to the forum and have just gotten myself six chooks roaming round my back garden prior to moving them to my allotment once its finished. I am currently looking at getting some bits and pieces to keep them fit and healthy and I was looking at colloidal silver and Herban liquid but I can't decide wheter to get both or do I just need one or t'other? Is one better than the other or are they for completely different things. all advice greatly appreciated thanks.
1 Coral Nick, 1 Rhode Rock, 1 Light Sussex,  2 Speckledy, 1 Columbian blactail, 2 welsummer, 1 Columbine
and 18 ducks/drakes/ducklings mix xxx

Jeanette

Re: Colloidal silver and herban liquid
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:32 »
I am sorry i have not heard of them but i am sure someone will be along soon who can let you know.

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 11:25 »
About 20+ years ago I knew people who swore by collodial silver, and others said there no difference. Never used it myself.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 11:55 »
Can't help with your query I'm afraid but welcome to the forum  :)  Lots of good experienced people here who I'm sure will be along to advise you.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:38 »
I have got some collodial silver which I'm putting in there water. Its supposed to be good against some diseases, but since I've just put it in I can't say either way. There are a lot of websites which say it is good. I've not heard of or used the Herban liquid though!

evie2

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 14:19 »
Hi Louise, welcome to the forum, sorry I can't help with your question
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

louiseb22

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 15:26 »
I found the herban liquid on www.happychicks.co.uk. It says it good for a lot of conditions. I may just get both anyway thanks

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 21:31 »
Colloidal silver is a bacteriostat. The Pheonicians used silver vessels to keep their water safe during long voyages. It is used in no odour items and water treatments (wrongly in my opinion, but then...). It should not be ingested. It will not do a lot of harm, but is undesirable as the gut needs a collection of bacteria (a flora) which is normal. This produces some vitamins and protects against some pathogens. The silver will reduce some populations of bacteria to the detriment of the animal. It's also expensive!
Herban -'essential oils' also sounds to be a con. It can deal with viruses, bacteria and parasites? Actually there are published papers to suggest that Oregano oil is effective in a test tube against viruses (avian flu), but it is an irritant and especially irritates the mucous membranes.
To be honest, I'd suggest that your money would be better spent elsewhere.
Cheap tonics such as Poultry spice are good. They are vitamins and minerals. You can use garlic, apple cider vinegar, lime flour etc, but if they are in good health then they probably don't need anything other than good food and not too many treats. Have a timetable for worming and de-flea/mite treatments and you should be fine.
The site you quote looks a little suspicious as it makes suggestions such as creating 'a mildly dusty atmosphere'. Not a good idea. How would you like it?
A bit arrogant of me, but my advice would be to look at numerous posts on this site and save your money. You'll need it for real problems such as the coop and protection.
Best of luck

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 21:46 »
I completely agree with you ehs284 :)

louiseb22

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 12:33 »
Ok guys I think I'll give them a miss. thanks for the help and welcomes.

xx
Mycoplasma and colloidal silver

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 20:27
by Lindeggs
question
Are silver partridge pekins and silver pencilled the same thing.

Started by Brenda B on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 15:55
by joyfull
question
Herban?

Started by uktitan on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 17:39
by uktitan
xx
silver dorkings

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 12:33
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 28 queries.