URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens

• 58 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 13:13 »
Sue just died  :(
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 13:15 »
awwww im ss, you did all you could and more to help her xxxxxx

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 14:27 »
Sorry to hear this Carla. :(

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 14:32 »
I've been expecting her to go since we had her, so it's not as devestating as it could have been. She just gave up. Found her in the nest box, lay down, eyes closed, looked as if she'd just stopped. Poor thing :(
On a happier note, all 3 remaining chooks are sun bathing outside the security of their coop. They're still not venturing far, but its a definate positive move on their part :) xx

NormandyMary

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2010, 14:56 »
So sorry to hear your sad news Carla. RIP SueXX

Glad to hear that the others are on the mend.

Maryx

rachelr

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2010, 15:29 »
Hi my spaniel did the same. Nuggets was so badly bitten he had broken her ribs. I used the savlon antiseptic spray. I also made up warm ready brek. I never thought she would survive. but she is king pin now and lays wopping big eggs. I hope you have the same experience. I know how heart breaking it is but you will get over it and so will they. I have 3 battery hens as well. I will never turn my back on my spaniel again.

Good luck and thinkin you all
Rachel

bantam novice

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 18:17 »
So sorry to hear that Carla,  :( , I hope all the rest continue to make a good recovery.  Keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2010, 18:36 »
Oh Carla  :(  :(  :(

You did everything you could but reading your posts I had a feeling this might be the outcome.  The others are OK and that's what to focus on.  They sound like they are getting stronger by the day  :)

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 18:53 »
The others are fine today, they started scratching around again this afternoon, something they havent done for a couple of days. Wounds are still healing, showed them my mom today (who's a nurse) and she said they're not infected and look like they're healing fine. Nellie and Flo are behaving as if nothing happened, except looking mega worried when the dog walks past, but Shell is still struggling, her wings are slightly drooped and she keeps having alone time, but her wound was quite bad, so I dont know how much blood she lost. She's been eating like a horse though, so we'll see.
My poor 9 year old neice found Sue...'Aunty Carla, I think one of your chickens is really asleep' bless her. She took it like a grown up when I explained what was what though.  Thankfully, they're religious (unlike me!!) so I explained that she is now laying eggs for Jesus' brekkie lol xx She went off into the garden and made a chicken wig wam out of some old branches and a piece of hose (for water collection for them to drink apparently) to cheer the remaining girls up  :D
Poor Maisy just doesnt understand why I keep bellowing 'MOVE' everytime she walks by the run. I know it wasnt her fault, she was only playing. We're friends again now  ::)
I find it so touching that all you all care so much about some scraggy old hens that you've never met. You are all lovely people and I thank you again xx

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 20:33 »
so sorry to hear about her carla, just very very sad, really hope the other girls start coming round         nickyxx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

orchardlady

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 21:33 »
If Shell is eating well she will more than likely recover. Just giver her time. We live and learn and your Lab with a bit of firm training will probably become a perfect hound around your birds. Don't forget they are obedience dogs, very loyal and really really keen to please and usually will do anything for food. So there is a very good chance that with a bit of firm training, plenty of reward with love and treats she will learn very quickly that your hens are out of bounds. If she can sit/stay/down/drop/come you are well on the way to having a happy dog, happy hens and of course happy you.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 09:36 »
3 eggs this morning   :D :D :D
The remaining 3 chickabees must have spent all night preening because they came out of the coop all clean and fluffed up this morning, so lovely to see after they've been caked in dirt for 4 days. Providing nothing nasty happens with the neck wounds, I think we're ok folks. They're back to their normal, chatty, adventuring selves.
Phew!  ::)

PaulineM

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 10:06 »
Hi Carla
I was so sorry to read your story yesterday, but at least all seems well now.  :(
It is so worth while putting your experiences on here as when I read your's I told my hubby and reminded him not to take his eyes of our two dogs when they are near our chooks.
Remember too that although Sue died, they all would be by now if you hadn't rescued them. 
It has also showed you that your run is not very fox proof, if your dog can get in a hungry fox definitely could and a fox would have killed them all. I am not criticising you for your run as maybe I have got this wrong.  :(
I  got my chooks just before you did and when you look back it is amazing how much you learn once you get your own chooks!
Congratulations on your nursing skills!  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bantam novice

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40 »
Glad to hear they're recovering, Carla.  Clean feathers and 3 eggs is definitely a good sign  :)

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59 »
Sorry to hear your sad news Carla.  Good luck and happy days with your other girlies

3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

xx
Chickens attacked

Started by Mrs Mant on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 15:57
by Flowerpower136
sad
my chickens got attacked

Started by chickadizzle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 20:24
by chickadizzle
xx
Chickens attacked

Started by henrys.hens on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 14:55
by henrys.hens
xx
chickens attacked by Harris Hawk

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 14:17
by freebirdy

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 30 queries.