Pea Multiplication

• 26 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Pea Multiplication
« on: September 09, 2010, 22:03 »
Now, please stay with me and don't loose the plot as I go through some complex mathematics.

Well, sums actually.

I have 6 varieties of heritage pea seed which I want to multiply up. I only have 10 of each of them. I reckon it would be possible to crop 2 generations in one year.

I'd only take one variety for this experiment, if I do it, for reasons that will become obvious later.

I could start 10 seed off in the greenhouse in February or earllier for example, in a trough that I can later move outside. Having done this as a seed guardian, I know a return of 60 fold is possible. Therefore 600 offspring could be obtained from the first sowing.

These could be dried off and a late sowing made. The 600 seed is sufficient for  a 50 foot row, the offspring at 60 fold would yield 36000 seed with this latter total being sufficient for a 3,000 foot row of peas!

I know there are various stages at which the equations could and no doubt would go wrong, particulary the the later sowing which would have to be done in open ground at a riskier part of the year, but it would be interesting to see what could be done in just one season.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pea Multiplication
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 22:11 »
are you saying that you need to take on a third plot just for more peas ::)  :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 22:14 »
Can't think of a better use!

savbo

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:52 »
sounds like those heritage peas have a safe future!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:06 »
Problem is, I've got 9 varieties of them and could run out of room. May get another 6 this year when the catalogue come out, but it may be best to try tomatoes! :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 08:07 »
Just realised - hey savbo - you didn't kill this thread! :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:05 »
Doesn't it mean another year without eating many, though? If you're growing them all for seed  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 09:21 »
as a non grower I am curious as to whether the first lot of peas would dry in time before the second sowing?
Staffies are softer than you think.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 09:25 »
I think it's quite feasible.

I've seen early grown peas that have been missed in the harvest sprouting in the pod after a period of rain.

I'd get the first lot off to a flyer in a cold greenhouse and move them outside whenever. There would only be 10 plants to shift.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 09:28 »
I'd offer to give you a hand picking all those thousands but wouldn't be able to guarantee how many would make it into a basket - I love raw peas  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 09:29 »
I have to pick them blindfolded with one arm behind my back.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 09:57 »
I think this would be eligible for a research grant, which would enable you to buy a field, employ some research graduates and really test the theory (and grow as many peas as you like  :) )

Just need a feasability study, a university backer and a tame professor
or contact BirdsEye....

:D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 10:52 »
Starting off peas very early is always a gamble that can go wrong and late peas can be vunerable to mildew so I wonder if it is really worth the risk with these precious seeds. After all you have been entrusted to look after them and multiply them up.

Far better in my mind to sow them in proper season and do them well. You will probably end up with just as many seeds at the end of the season.

If you really feel it would work why not try it out on some of your favorite Kelvedon Wonder to see how you get on?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 10:57 »
I've not been entrusted with these, as these are mine, I'm not raising them as a seed guardian.

I've yet to make my mind up what to do, perhaps do it with 5 of them and crop the others at the normal time.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 15:06 »
personaly i would resow half - just in case.

also. could you list which 6 heritage varieties you are going to grow plz and suppliers?

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 39 queries.