pototo advice

• 5 Replies

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
pototo advice
« on: September 09, 2010, 17:16 »
I have just dug up one container of my potatoes, and rather than throw away the plant stalks and teeny tiny tubers still attached, as I usually do, I put them back in the soil to regrow. What I want to know is, whether the frosts will kill the whole plant or just the bits above ground, and could I get a second crop from these plants?

I have read about planting in September for a Christmas harvest, but this is using seed pototoes. Would this work with my existing potato plants? I am assuming a generous amount of bubble wrap would be required.

Please let me know if anyone else has tried this, or whether I am wasting my time!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: pototo advice
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 17:41 »
They need a period of dormancy before re-growing.

They will no doubt act like the ones in the plot that we overlook. Sit there until spring, then come up where you don't want them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 19:16 »
I agree with DD. I often miss those teeny potatoes and they sit quietly all winter then pop up in all the wrong places next spring. It's the winter rest that makes them grow in spring so you'd be best to buy ready seed potatoes for your Christmas plans.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 19:33 »
Thanks. They are in a container, so no chance of popping up somewhere as a surprise!

If I just leave them then I could get spuds next year from them (summer) rather than this Christmas. I could treat them as very earlies!

I just did not know if they would grow at all, but it sounds like they will from your experience. This is good news, and much cheaper than buying new seed potatoes, which costs me twice as much as supermarket ones (which I often use as well). I have found that growing my own is not very economical at all, so this would be a way of re-using the same plants, do you think?

Luckily they are blight free this year.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 19:46 »
I would be cautious for the following reasons;

Firstly, if they are in a container rather than the soil, chances are the frost will kill em off, unless you move them to a frost free site.

Secondly, growing potatoes from uncertified seed is proven to increase the chance of the plant getting struck by a virus.

Finally, the chances of a decent crop is considerably reduced if using the tiny tubers left over, as they don;t have enough "in store" to see them through the first stages of life when putting out a root system (It is from this that potatoes grow)

I would rather gamble on cheap Wilko seed potatoes.  They cost next to nothing anyway.  (NB: I always order my seed potatoes through my allotment association anyway)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 19:50 »
If you do want to use those small leftover potatoes, then group about 3 together in one planting hole and the yields will be better and less space used. That's how we deal with those bitty ones.
Growing your own might not be economical, depending on how much you pay for seed potatoes, but they definitely taste superior.

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
Pea advice

Started by chicken on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 20:42
by chicken
xx
Some help/advice please

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 18:12
by Rangerkris

Page created in 4.872 seconds with 36 queries.