Some help/advice please

• 11 Replies

Rangerkris

• My pic's
Some help/advice please
« on: January 31, 2009, 17:54 »
Tackled our new Jungle today,  hahahha cut most of the stuff above the ground that was up around our ears brambles,ash trees and lots of rubbish had a good few hours there working hard.  My question is what should i do next should i cover the stuff thats cut until i get around to digging it over or just leave it and keep cutting it back. or some thing else any advice would be helpfull im sure.

Kris
Thanks
Kris

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Some help/advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 20:10 »
my advice right now would be stay in and turn the heating up its VERY cold outside!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 20:29 »
I'm not entirely sure what you've done / got left to do, so hope this is useful.

I assume there will be weeds around the stuff you've cut back?  If so, these will start to grow in a few weeks when the weather warms up.  I would recommend covering them at that stage at the latest, but if you've got sharp bits sticking up e.g. bramble or tree trunk remnants, you'll need something sufficiently thick to prevent them piercing it.  I'd recommend weed suppressing fabric.

In the meantime, I'd concentrate on clearing properly a small amount at a time, so you're ready to plant in stages.  If you want spuds, they will need to go into the ground in say 3 months, so aim to clear those first.

Then plan for whatever goes in after that e.g. peas.  Eventually aim for the tender plants to go in come June e.g. beans, courgettes - or whatever you're planning on planting.

Don't try to tickle all of it at once, or you won't be ready with any of it.

And if the mud sticks to your boots, KEEP OFF and have a cup of tea :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Bombers

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 21:29 »

That's an interesting method.What would you recommend Yorkie? (Feather duster) ;) ??? :D
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 21:31 »

That's an interesting method.What would you recommend Yorkie? (Feather duster) ;) ??? :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tongue2:

fishing tackle  8)

Bombers

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 21:36 »
Seriously though, ( for a change  ::)) take yer fork down, and pull up a couple of lumps. If you can pull the roots out without the soil sticking to them, then carry on..... If not go home and put the kettle on, and read the seed catalogs until it dries out!

penance

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 21:42 »
Hi Rangerkris,

Froom my days as a tree surgeon what I can tell you is the the Ash will regrow rapidly when the weather warms, Doubtful that covering it will help as it will be dormant until it warms up.

How big were the ash?
If the stem was just a few inches near the ground then it wouldn't be to much grief to grub the roots out with a mattock.
I really would suggest getting as much of the root stock out as you can, if left it will compete with your crops for soil nutrients. Ash will happily regrow from rootstock left in the ground.

I think it would be best to dig out the as much of the bramble root as possible too. Bramble will grow from bits of root left in the ground, the smaller those bits the weaker the growth and hence easier to pull out. Regrowth from un-hindered roots can be a lot harder to deal with and very hard when it sticks its 'orrible neck up amongst your veg!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 21:46 »
I definitely agree with penance that you'll need to get the ash and brambles out sooner rather than later, or they will re-colonise.  ash is a major weed on our site (along with self-seeded sycamore).

You will easily be able to strike a balance between doing enough to keep on top of the ash, gradually tackling the brambles, and properly clearing areas to grow in this spring / summer.

penance

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 21:48 »
Maybe I should of mentioned, self seeded ash that has been ignored can be bread and butter money for tree surgeons ;)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 06:19 »
Hi all

Thanks for the advice, im am a tree surgeon penance and find you can make a few quid from any logsright now as log burners seem to be the fashion right now.  The ash that has come up on the site is about as think as your thumb and your right it would peirce anything thats put down to cover it.

Also tackling one area at a time sounds like its the way to go there are lots of bramble. Here a couple of before and after pictures from the first day

The row of trees along the back are coming down to a hedge height that is managable  and that will let in some more light through the summer months hope this gives you a better view of the site so far thanks for you advice
Kris

penance

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 12:49 »
Haha, so i was teaching you to suck eggs!  ;)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 18:12 »
some great advice
thanks all

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
little advice please

Started by thepillays on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 21:01
by thepillays
xx
No dig advice

Started by Wellington on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 25, 2020, 10:49
by Wellington

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 28 queries.