Mother Hen

• 2 Replies

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Mother Hen
« on: September 06, 2010, 14:53 »
How long should I keep mum and 3 babies in a run together? The chicks are about 3 weeks now, would it be safe to separate mum and put her back with the rest of the girls? She is still very guarding of them though, I feel she wants to get out and show them how to scratch about in the grass but I'm worried that A: I'll never get them back in, or B: that they'll come to harm if I'm distracted .

animartco

Re: Mother Hen
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 16:13 »
How long should I keep mum and 3 babies in a run together? The chicks are about 3 weeks now, would it be safe to separate mum and put her back with the rest of the girls? She is still very guarding of them though, I feel she wants to get out and show them how to scratch about in the grass but I'm worried that A: I'll never get them back in, or B: that they'll come to harm if I'm distracted .
The rule of thumb is let the mother train the babies to perch. Once they are roosting beside her and not on the ground or under her wing it is safe to seperate them, although you should never put youngsters on their own with strange adults. Three weeks is definitely too young. They will still be needing their mother's heat as well as her protection.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mother Hen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 16:15 »
she will let you know when she has had enough of them, most of the time it is around the 6-8 weeks age but some of mine have kept their young with them for 10 weeks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Unfit mother!!!!!!

Started by spaulaj on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 21:15
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mother hen starting to lay

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 13:36
by ANHBUC
xx
mother hen is itchy!

Started by Ched on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 14:28
by Foxy
xx
Mother hen still with chicks

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 29 queries.