Do eglu cubes leak?

• 10 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
Do eglu cubes leak?
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:53 »
Just been Reading reviews and slot of people say they leak!!!! Has  Anyone with a cube experienced this there is a video on you tube and it looks like there are big gaps and it shows water coming in!!!!! If it leaks when I get mine it's going straight back to omlet one of the selling points is it's warm in the winter. is it to much to assume that that means my chickens won't need to learn to swim the first time it rains !!! I was really looking forward to it being delivered now I'm thinking I might have made an expensive mistake
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

tedsdad

Re: Do eglu cubes leak?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:12 »
I've been to these guys place,delivering birds(I think they must offer a package where P.O.L. birds are included),the little houses seemed well made . Personally I cant see why you'd pay so much for something you could knock up in a couple of hours(i.e. a small chicken coup) but each to his\her own.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 08:25 »
I'm sorry, I don't have one, but I have read the same thing.

To be honest,our beautiful wooden coop arrived yesterday from flute so fancy, and we are getting our three Silkies this afternoon.  It's pretty heavy to move and does look a lot more complicated to clean than the eglu.

I am now a little nervous as to whether I've made the right decision as we toyed between eglu and wooden for ages.  I read too many negatives in the end which put me off eglu, but that is not to say that ALL their products have those problems.  Most people love them.

The main worry for me is redmite, but hopefully for-warned is for-armed!  I'm all set with my diatom!  I think I'm just experiencing pre chicken jitters.  Like when you decide to get pregnant, go through pregnancy, excitedly buy baby bits, choose names..... and then all of a sudden you go into labour and suddenly start thinking 'hang on, I'm sure about this!!!'

Fingers crossed your cube is wonderful and you'll love it.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:24 »
hi victoria being a bloke and never having gone into labour myself  I can't relate to your analogy but I get the idea. I origianaly went wood thinking I would keep them at bay don't think the red mite powder will make any differance in the coop it doesn't. in my experience anyway.  I relied on it and it back fired. I didn't want to go plastic because wood looks so much more natural in the garden and the egglu cube looks like a big kids wendy house which doent exactly blend in like wood in the end I had to put the chickens health before the asthetics of the coop. I know loads of people have wooden coops with no problems but the must be better at killing red mites than me  :(  Not trying to worry you or anything. anyhow if it leaks I imagine that is a bigger problem than the mite so I mite ( see what I did there?) be back to wood before long 

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:25 »
I wonder what the returns policy is on eglu's should it turn out to be a pile of poo

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:30 »
Sorry victoria you said diatom I wasn't paying atention when I read it that will work  :D I was thinking barrier red mite powder which is rubbish

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:56 »
Then hurrah for diatom!

I like the idea of the plastic cube very much, but I just felt that with wood there are things you can apply to it, whereas some of the horror stories I've heard about eglus is the tiny tiny bubble holes harbouring mites, and that seems hard to deal with. Although in theory diatom should work anywhere if used for long enough.

Plus of course there is the element of beauty, and the wood won that battle!

I hope you don't get one that leaks, if you do surely that's classed as faulty? I'd drench it under the hose before you use it!

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 10:00 »
Bear in mind that in torrential driving rain there is not much that does not leak, water will blow uphill. :)

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:35 »
I read that story about the air bubbles and saw the pics I have a cunning plan I asume the bubbles are made from very thin plastic which should shrink and close up with very little heat so....... I'm gonna very quickly run a blow torch over it to melt all the bubbles if this does turn out to be an issue . It's the rain leaking in that concerns me and this talk of big gaps. oh well we will see I shall give a full and detailed review when it arives which is Monday and like victoria  said it will be getting the hose treatment and any leaks and they can take it back.

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:46 »
I'll be interested to hear the outcome. :)  Good luck and keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:52 »
Good luck! Blow torch idea sounds like a plan - you obviously know more about plastic than me!

Just a quick question, unrelated. Do I need to put newspaper in the bottom of the coop, before bedding? I'm using bliss (bit like hemcore etc)

Chooks arrive this afternoon.

I bet it'll be fine and you'll love your cube  :) :D

xx
eglu cubes

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 04, 2008, 18:48
by blulagoo
xx
chicken ice cubes

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2015, 08:14
by New shoot
xx
EGLU

Started by arthur cooke on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 22:48
by compostqueen
xx
eglu

Started by bright lights on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 20:35
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 36 queries.