Sealing chicken coop

• 3 Replies

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
Sealing chicken coop
« on: September 03, 2010, 14:20 »
Hi everyone.  I already have a thread running asking for advice about hen keeping - we get our hens on Sunday.

But I thought I'd post a new thread about something I've read about.

I am concerned, obviously, about red mite and want to do all I can to deter them, and then make getting rid of them easier if (or should I say when!) we do get them.

I have just read on a red mite article that you should seal all the joins and cracks in your chicken house with 'decorators mate.'

Presumeably this is decorators caulk or that kind of stuff.  Given that the mites live in the cracks of the house, would it be a good idea to seal the inside with some kind of sealant?  The house comes on Sat am and chooks on sunday eve, so I would have a good chance to do it.

Any ideas?

frickinradical

Re: Sealing chicken coop
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 18:17 »
Because red mite are so small it's vertually impossible to seal every crack as they can fit into any size space, i use Diatmeacous Earth (i think i've spelt it right) it's a natural anti parasite medicine, you can put it water, food, use it as a dry dust on the hen, or put it in spray for your hens, it does the trick for mine. Hope this is usefull for you

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:13 »
Agree with frickinradical about using diatomatious earth, but not really all the ways suggested. Have a look at some posts of a week or so ago on RM - particularly the explanations by Hillfooter as to using slurry. It does work well. The wood in the coop moves with temperature and moisture and trying to seal fully would drive you mad.
Putting grease/vaseline on the ends/joints helps in places such as the end of perches where slurry isn't the answer. Do check and dust your birds before putting them in, however good the supplier is.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 21:24 »
Thank you for your advice. I've got dome DE and will give the house a good dust with it before I put them in, plus some on the birds if I can manage it.

I am planning on steam cleaning the coop, but not sure how often I should do thus, if weekly is a but OTT or not.  I think it would be silly to slurry it if I am going to steam it off. 

They told me at the local equestrian supplier today that eglus are redmite free, but I have seen people saying they've had problems with rm in them. 

Let's hope I can keep them at bay.

Do I need to wear a dust mask using DE?

xx
Sealing the chicken coop....is it worth it?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 23:19
by Gezza
xx
Chicken coop

Started by Chris B on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 08:22
by Dominic
xx
chicken coop

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 15:22
by Beano
xx
Chicken Coop?

Started by 3mmett29 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 22:19
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 28 queries.