new chickens fighting

• 6 Replies

mollieschucks

new chickens fighting
« on: August 31, 2010, 17:43 »
Hi,
We have just got 3 hens on saturday for our 8 year old daughter, however today i have noticed that one keeps picking or fighting another of the hens......can anyone tell me why please......is this normal...or should we be worried?

All advice will be gratefull

Molliesmum xx

tesni

• Experienced Member
Re: new chickens fighting
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 19:06 »
it sounds like they are sorting out their pecking order - it can be pretty brutal!  source some purple spray to disguise any blood/redness and if poss provide a couple of feeders/drinkers so that the 'picked on' chicken can get food etc..  They should settle :) and be a happy threesome soon 

evie2

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 19:48 »
I'm having this problem at the moment Mollie, it's awful to  watch :( and everyone says to persevere but I've had to keep them separate during the day but at night they seem ok, altough the new 3 huddle together in the nest box :(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 20:08 »
I have my 6 hens 3 weeks tomorrow and on the 6th day I was ready to take the 3 big ones back they were pecking the banty so much, however from then on they hardly ever peck only at treat time. As long as they are not drawing blood I would say try to not watch too much and they will sort it out themselves.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

hjobri2

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:56 »
Hi Mollie,
We got 3 new chickens last summer to add to our old 3.  When you introduce new chickens they do have to sort out the pecking order and yes this can get pretty violent.  However, as long as the new chickens are fully grown in size then there shouldn't be any major or long term damage done.  This should settle down after several weeks.  After a year together you would never know that ours came from two different flocks.

Jeanette

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 11:00 »
It is important that they sort out the pecking order and if you seperate them it just starts from the begining again. I do know it is very hard to watch them fighting but in a couple of weeks you will have a happy little flock. if you can have more feeders and water stations then they will all be able to get food and water. Also if you can give them something to go and escape in it would be better, I use a couple of buckets on its side.

mollieschucks

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 14:00 »
Thankyou all very much for all your advice.........Hannah,Peach and Sparkie are starting to settle down and get on a little better.....fingers crossed happy days will soon be here xx

xx
New Chickens Fighting!

Started by Gerty333 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 20:52
by joyfull
xx
chickens fighting

Started by buggie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 10:18
by buggie
xx
chickens still fighting

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 14:26
by beulah59
xx
Fighting

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 21:00
by muntjac

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 36 queries.