A Beetle bank: biological pest control

• 6 Replies

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
A Beetle bank: biological pest control
« on: August 30, 2010, 22:33 »
Do many allotments have areas dedicated to beneficial native insects?

For the sake of native wildlife including the vital pollinators maybe everyone in charge of land should be obliged to offer such environments, maybe a percentage of the land above a certain size . Biodiversity is so important.

A Beetle bank, In agriculture and horticulture, is a form of biological pest control. It is a strip planted with grasses (bunch grasses) and-or perennial plants, within a crop field or a garden, that fosters and provides habitat for beneficial insects, birds, and other fauna that prey pests.

Since I have introduced plants and habitats specifically for wildlife I have had a big reduction in pest problems. This year there have been hundreds of ladybirds, thousands of hoverfly and many types of bee. Letting some vegetables flower and set seed also helps complete the life cycle for many predictors, reducing the chances devastating infections. Leek flowers are fantastic at attracting hoverflies and bees.

An interesting report from the BBC in Panorama covering this issue: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tn8vg
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
Re: A Beetle bank: biological pest control
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:13 »
So, it's a grassy patch of land covered by perennial wild plants and flowers that's abandoned for the insects? To be honest, that sounds like about 2/3 of my allotment   ???

It's interesting to think about. There was a guy on the radio the other day saying that a wasps' nest is a great thing to have in a garden, because they eat a load of pests.

Kagganz

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:35 »
I'm in the middle of making a bug/insect 'hotel' at the moment, and have allocated an area for wild flowers on my plot for next year in the hope of attracting and keeping all the 'good bugs.'  :D

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 14:34 »
Parasitic Wasps are what you want:

rLtUk-W5Gpk
I have seen a large increase in beneficial insects.  Lady Birds, parasitic wasps and hover flys are all thriving. If you stop spraying and treating plants you may end up loosing some in the short term, but a few years down the line the eco system will balance out with enough predictors to stop pests becoming problematic. If you treat plants with chemicals all you do is disrupt the natural cycle, setting your self up for a later infestation or a never ending chemical war on pests!

I have just found some ladybirds on my plot that I have not seen before:
14-spot ladybird (Propylea 14-punctata)
http://www.uknature.co.uk/P.quattuordecimpunctata.jpg
It was feeding off aphids.

Why flight against nature when you can work with it.

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 19:48 »
Any ideas on what will fight of asparagus beetle naturally?  Think if i had left mine to nature they would have been stripped bare?

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 13:53 »
"To naturally get rid of asparagus beetles is to attract other insects that are harmless to humans and your garden, but deadly to the beetle. One such insect is the ladybug. Ladybugs will feed on the larvae of the asparagus beetles which will control the beetle population making it possible for you to get rid of the adults via the means mentioned in the previous tip (hand pick). Plant plenty of cilantro, dill or fennel and you are sure to attract all the ladybugs you will ever need."

Read more: How to Control Asparagus Beetles | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5836751_control-asparagus-beetles.html#ixzz0yZ5DtwPM

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 20:56 »
thanks, great answer, I would much rather do it that way rather than spraying.  I have loads of ladybirds on my asparagus at the moment so all good.

thumbup
Biological control of caterpillars Bacillus thuringiensis

Started by willndearne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 13:48
by Salmo
xx
pest control

Started by deano123 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 20:38
by Ice
xx
pest control

Started by ESSEX GRAY on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 14:58
by mumofstig
xx
Pest Control

Started by andrewandkaren on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 13:55
by diggerjoe

Page created in 1.164 seconds with 29 queries.