what to do with fennel?

• 5 Replies

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
what to do with fennel?
« on: August 29, 2010, 23:31 »
Grew some this year as a companion plant to keep whitefly off the brassicas with little success.
As i like aniseed type flavours any suggestions on freezing, storing, cooking etc very much appreciated.

Trillium

Re: what to do with fennel?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:55 »
I particularly love the fresh fennel salad with citrus listed here:
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/ontv/shows/French-Food-at-Home/recipes.html?q=fennel+salad&titleid=105739&hostid=&requiredfields=Show%3AFrench+Food+at+Home

The braised fennel is also nice.

As for freezing or storing, sorry, I don't have any experience as I just buy it fresh as needed. Never had luck growing it.

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:46 »
Oh man, love that fennel.  :D  I eat it cut very thin(and sometimes quickly blanched if flavour is very strong) in salads; boiled 2 mins, drained and sloshed with good quality NZ extra virgin olive oil with a sprinkle of sea salt; 3 or 4 bulbs browned quite hot for 8 mins then braised v e r y slowly in a little water (watch the water and add more if necessary) for 30 mins; in tagines where its added 30 mins before serving.

Best salads would have to be with avocado and orange, or with pear, fennel and avocado with fresh grinds of black pepper.  there's something about that aniseed/sweet/oily combination!

Also I put fennel seeds in home-made chai tea along with angelica seed and other goodies.

I also make spanakopita with all sorts of garden greens (silver beet, fennel tops, NZ spinach, handfull of oregano, broad bean tops etc etc) which is so much more interesting than the usual spinach/feta/egg combination, and easy to make from a garden that has a bit of everything

I plant fennel in spring in rich soil, eat the ones that grow fat and let the ones that bolt go to seed:  when seed matures I harvest the seed, cut the plant to the ground and add blood & bone and compost:  because fennel is a perennial, this richness then furnishes the plant to produce crops of small bulbs all winter (mild winter!) so a patch 2m by 2m gives feast after feast.  I also sow in early autumn and the plants grow slowly all winter to make huge fat bulbs in spring, for just when the overwintered plants are petering out. 

Wouldn't be without it!

=Pip

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:17 »
Fennel Parmigiana.
Cut fennel in halves and blanch for a few minutes in boiling water. Leave to cool and slice .
Layer into an ovenproof dish with any tomatoey pasta-type sauce and grated mature cheddar(original recipe was parmesa). Finish top with a thick sprinkle of grated cheese.

Cook in a medium oven till bubbly and the cheese has browned nicely.
Nice with salad and garlic bread :)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 21:16 »
Braised fennel and white fish is a match made in heaven. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 22:45 »
Sliced and roasted alongside halved tomatoes, sprinkled with olive oil and oregano  :D :D

MMMMMMMM

and thanks for the growing tips Pip -- I only ever grow the herb, but love the bulbing sort. I shall give it a go next year  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
fennel

Started by dopey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 20:22
by sunshineband
xx
what to do with fennel

Started by brewerboy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 10:40
by Vit
xx
Fennel ideas

Started by Yorkie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 04:22
by Trillium
xx
Baked fennel with sd toms and goats cheese

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2007, 17:45
by BillinPA

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 37 queries.