Fennel ideas

• 6 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Fennel ideas
« on: August 10, 2008, 18:52 »
I've just dug up 4 rather large fennel bulbs, and need to find a way to cook / freeze them somehow.

I read that it can be braised - but that looks as though it would be a little bland on its own.

Any suggestions re what would work (I've already seen the fennel recipes from Ice in Jany 07, and on the courgette glut thread!).  Delia suggests frying a little bacon before adding the fennel.

I did have some fennel which had been cooked for a couple of hours under a roasting pork belly - it was lovely and dark, with rich taste.  I guess I'm after that sort of taste, without having to roast pork belly  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Fennel ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 22:18 »
not sure if its quite what you're looking for but i like doing mussels cooked in a provencale style sauce.

tinned tomatoes (or tomato puree), diced onion and diced fennel, cook til the veg are soft, tip in the cleaned mussels turn up the heat put a lid on and cook for a few minutes.

with a nice slice or 2 of bread to soak up the juices.

jannie

• Experienced Member
Fennel ideas
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 15:43 »
i bake mine 2 fennel bulbs, 2 celery sticks cut to 3 inches, 6 sun -dried toms halved, 7oz passata, oregano fresh parmesan in a large pan of boiling water add fennel and celery cook 8/10 mins until tender remove and drain place in an overproof dish with toms ,pour over passata sprinke oregano and parmesan and bake 190 for 20 mins you can also add butter beans jan :) although my fav is to just each them raw jan :) ps really nice with roasted trout and orange

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Fennel ideas
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 19:41 »
Thanks, both.  Much appreciated.

compostqueen

Fennel ideas
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 23:07 »
It makes a lovely soup  :D

Goes well with chicken, pork or rabbit. Bed of onions, garlic, quartered fennel, seasoning, meat laid on top, and plenty of white wine or dry vermouth, sprigs of thyme, lid on and roast in the oven.  Stir in some cream before serving

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Fennel ideas
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 06:49 »
what about a fennel coleslaw?

i'm planning to stuff some of the fronds and any edible bits from mine inside a whole seabass sometimes this week.

Trillium

Fennel ideas
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 04:22 »
I slice up a fennel bulb quite thinly (after halving to make it easier), add some toasted pine nuts, some grated orange peel and lemon peel, salt, pepper, a bit of chopped fennel leaves, some good olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Stir well and adjust to taste. I can pig down a huge bowl at one sitting.

You can also braise fennel halves in some butter with a bit of olive oil to keep it from burning. Doesn't need long.

xx
fennel

Started by dopey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 20:22
by sunshineband
xx
what to do with fennel?

Started by SUTTY1 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 22:45
by sunshineband
xx
what to do with fennel

Started by brewerboy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 10:40
by Vit
xx
Baked fennel with sd toms and goats cheese

Started by Ice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2007, 17:45
by BillinPA

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 28 queries.