HELP! Noisy Welsummer

• 6 Replies

Higsta

HELP! Noisy Welsummer
« on: August 29, 2010, 17:18 »
We've got 3 hens (Hybrid, Sussex Buff & Welsummer).  The Welsummer is particularly noisy, squawking when the others are laying, and also gets in the way of them laying.  She was broody earlier on in the year, insisting on sitting on the eggs.  She has started laying again yet is now also crowing in the morning at 6am to get outside into the garden.   :wacko:

Your help would be most appreciated - especially for the neighbours  ::)

bantam novice

Re: HELP! Noisy Welsummer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 20:44 »
Hello Higsta,
welcome to the forum  :).  There are lots of good people here who can offer advice.  I had a similar problem when I started.  A hen (or so I thought) started crowing.  I saw a documentary (The Secret Life of Chickens) which showed that hens can change sex and female can turn into cockerel.  Has your hen developed a larger comb and wattles?  Also I understand that in an all hen flock the dominant one can take on some cockerel behaviours such as crowing.  That said, I can offer no advice about what to do about it...sorry!  Maybe someone else out there has some ideas.  Anyway good luck and maybe you can post some pictures?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 20:46 »
sorry but some hens are noisy, some let you know they want to lay, they have laid, somebody is in their nest box stopping them from laying, they want a treat, they want your attention and it's morning let me out (try making sure no light can get in the coop).
Staffies are softer than you think.

emmaellis

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 14:22 »
Know how you feel! My three girls love the sound of their own voice too. I'm was paranoid that the neighbours would start to moan but no complaints.... yet!
They love announcing EVERYTHING......I want letting out, I'm just off to lay, I've layed, she's going to lay, she's layed, someone's in MY nestbox, look there's the cat, what's the rabbit eating..WE want some. etc etc etc
Personality I guess.
I wouldn't rush out and give treats to keep em quite as they'll keep shouting for more.
Just be gratefull they go off to bed without a fuss and sleep all night unlike kids! ;)

Stef

• Is there a Gloucester Chicken? I want one!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 15:55 »
Our Magpie is loud. She loves announcing things!

She can sound quite crowy!

We just ignore her. The local farmers just laugh. Especially the one who owns the cockerel we can hear - she has occasionally shouted back at him, which really irritates him apparently  :nowink:

The Monochrome Set: 1 Magpie Ranger, 1 Blue Ranger, 1 Light Sussex

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 17:11 »
Hi - I remember reading somewhere that hens have only one functioning ovary and if it is damaged in someway through infection etc then they cannot produce enough female hormones - will not lay any eggs - and begin to crow and exhibit male characteristics (though presumable unable to reproduce, not having the correct equipment)  Hence the old couplet " a whistling woman and and crowing hen is neither good for God not men"

If she stops laying and carries on crowing and she is not a pet it maybe time to part company in some sort of way.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:42 »
I have a Welsummer who is noisy. If there is another hen in the nesting box when she wants to go in she crows like mad even though there are 2 other nesting boxes free. Think she likes the place to herself lol.

xx
Welsummer POL

Started by slowef on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 22:49
by muntjac
xx
welsummer

Started by Country Bill on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post October 11, 2007, 07:52
by slowef
xx
Welsummer chicks

Started by chelle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac
clip
welsummer chick

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2015, 08:15
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 30 queries.