Autumn Bliss berries small this year - Why?

• 7 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Autumn Bliss berries small this year - Why?
« on: August 24, 2010, 11:37 »
Autumn Bliss canes planted 3 years ago - fruit small size this year, last year's canes cut down in March, applied compost at the same time.  Can anyone tell me why the fruits are so small this year - about half the size of previous years.

Any tips appreciated.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Autumn Bliss berries small this year - Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:48 »
Have the canes grown as strongly as last year?

Probably not short of water now ( :nowink:) but may have been earlier in the summer?

Not much food value in just compost; they do benefit from something like Growmore, dried chicken manure or BFB as well.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 13:08 »
Hi
   Not bragging but mine are twice as large as last year ,I cut them down in early Feburary ,feed them on a good mulch of well rotted horse manure and have watered them well through the dry summer .

bazial

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 14:05 »
The one thing I have noticed this year is mine is not as productive as last, although canes are similar height and the fruit is not as sweet, this also applies to most of my fruit, its been quite tart, wondering if the prolonged winter has had something to do with it. My desert goosberries are very bitter this year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 14:26 »
Thanks all,  Did not water much over the dry summer as I thought the canes must be well established by now.  Will feed with what you  suggest next year.  Should the number of canes be restricted? there are many canes per plant and some are 2m away from the main plant - should these be cut off?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 14:33 »
Thanks all,  Did not water much over the dry summer as I thought the canes must be well established by now.  Will feed with what you  suggest next year.  Should the number of canes be restricted? there are many canes per plant and some are 2m away from the main plant - should these be cut off?

Trouble with raspberries is they are quite shallow-rooted even when established so can run out of water quite quickly.

As to how much you restrict them it depends on how many plants you want and if you've got room for them all. Bear in mind that the suckers 2m away will eventually grow into plants and then try and put suckers up another 2m further away! (I've had to bury some heavy-duty pondliner (upright!) near my row to try and stop them taking over!)

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 00:19 »
Like Aidy, my rasps and strawbs not as productive or sweet this year.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Christine

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:41 »
I've never had a better year for years for strawberries and raspberries. Mind the beds for both were well composted, mulched, very well fed and watered regularly.

I think that food and water lie at the root of success.  :unsure:

xx
Yummy yummy first Autumn Bliss Raspberry of the year

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 13:15
by sclarke624
xx
Are there better Autumn raspberries than Autumn Bliss?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by DD.
clip
Autumn Bliss

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 02, 2014, 06:53
by New shoot
clip
Autumn Bliss

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2015, 20:44
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 28 queries.