Red mite hell!

• 10 Replies

Silkysmooth

Red mite hell!
« on: August 23, 2010, 21:08 »
Hi everyone,

Well I have been lucky up to now but a week ok I was going into the coop and itching with a few creppy crawlies on my arms.

I have a MAJOR infestation of red mites..every crack and crevice is covered..millions of the *!

I have got some Ardap spray which is coming wednesday and some DE too. I am going to scrub with Jeyes fluid and then let dry and apply the ardap.

has anyone had any experiences of using ardap and DE for red mite? are they effective?

Thanks in advance!

Andy :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Red mite hell!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 21:17 »
I don't know ardap.  I use poultryshield after the jeyes then Hemexsan which is the same as DE.  Also a blow torch sometimes comes in handy!   :D

tamnwill

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:07 »
Hi Andy, how did you get on with the coop? Did you 'front line' spray your chooks too? Tam

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 19:13 »
Andy - I've PM'd you .....

Kym

Silkysmooth

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 22:33 »
Hi everyone,

finally getting ALL the products for the coop tomorrow...

I think the greatest problem I face is that I made the coop from shed panels and therefore lots of overlapping wood slats to hide in! (and there are millions!) *despairs*

Thanks for your advice..shame nobody knows about ardap :(

Andy x

Roxalina

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 17:40 »
Hi there, really feel for you, I have had the same thing (although not quite as bad as caught it early) for a few weeks now and have poulty shielded (EVERY MORNING EARLY TO CATCH THEM)every crack and diatomed the birds every couple of days and this has been going on for a while - I still have them so i have now ordered a metal shed with ventilation and although only had the nice wooden coop 3 months it will be dismantled. This has been my worst nightmere so i know how you feel and its hard work too.. The birds stopped laying eggs but are getting better now.. Cant wait for shed to arrive and from now on metal or plastic for everthing.
Good luck with yours , Angela

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 21:30 »
I had the same in my stack of breeding cages and my serama pen :(

I got rid of them really easily in the serama pen but the stack has been a nightmare.....

I used Mite kill and soaked it..... put it back in the shed (which shows no sign of beasties surprisingly) and almost immediately there was a fresh hatch..... I dragged it out again and sprayed it a further three times at 4 day intervals.....

There are still * hatching out every  couple of days :(

In desperation I have sprayed it with Raid  ant and crawling insect spray......  I may have to take the top off and replace with wire instead as this is where they are all living despite there being no felt on it :(

I am aware that this stuff is horrid for birds so the intention is to wash it all out before using ..... But anything to kill them.....

Good news is that all I have found are grey ones, no blood been sucked.... and I have treated all the birds with ivermectin so anything that sucks blood will die!!!
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 21:41 »
Roxalina,
Don't use a metal shed. Assembled just as it comes; you'll have awful problems with condensation later in the year. Raising the roof to give a few inches gap will help, but this means a wooden frame (!). Insulation would work too, but....
Sorry, but guess how I know?

Knight Family

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 21:58 »
I must admit I hate red mite thats why  I made my new coop out of marnie ply, but they fine other ways to hide like cracks in the roost bar..

Best way i would was reguar cleaning and treating.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 07:03 »
I've made a very simple anti-mite deterrent by way of a perch design. The 1" square perch has a 3" screw going through each end vertically down into the support frame, but I've left a 1" gap so the screws are visible between the perch and the frame. I just wipe grease or Vaseline on the exposed section of screw and no mites can crawl over that to get to the birds. I hate the things, and this being my second year with them in a wooden coop I'm trying out an adapted compost bin for the two new birds we have. A normal dale bin, but a square bin would house more chooks.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 10:15 »
They sure are a huge problem.  Kopperdrake; you said you are trying a compost bin - sounds like a good idea. How is it going? Have you any pictures?
Alan

xx
More Red mite hell!

Started by jackiem on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 08:36
by Ma Lowe
xx
Dreaded Red Mite Hell

Started by HAPPYCHICKENHOME on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 12:45
by HAPPYCHICKENHOME
clip
What the hell is this ???

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 19:36
by cbv8
xx
New chicken hell!

Started by Gerty333 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 12:58
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.597 seconds with 28 queries.