Coop getting bit smelly

• 7 Replies

ali2

• Experienced Member
Coop getting bit smelly
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:23 »
For the past couple of day our coop - well the chickens coop ! - smells quite chickenny - it's de poohed at least every other day and cleaned out regularly so not sure why it's just started - have only 4 chickens - can anyone suggest ways to combat this 
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Coop getting bit smelly
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:31 »
some chickens do poop an awful lot over night (most of mine do  ::))  - you could try using hemcore or aubiose to absorb the muck a bit. Some chickens however don't poop much over night - I had two silkies of Cara and they never pooped in their coup just came running out in the morning and did huge jobbies outside. Me, Ice and Grannie Annie went to Hillfooters yesterday and I had a demonstration of his forsham coops and his girls don't seem to poop as much as mine either.
Staffies are softer than you think.

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:46 »
I use a thick layer of straw and the poop never seems to get down to the wood, I poo pick everyday, and the nest boxes get a complete fresh bed about three times a week.  Bark in the run gives you different smell, deodorises the poopy smell, but my OH thinks that's just as bad :tongue2:!!  Look forward to hearing more ideas
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 10:20 »
You could also try and sprinkle some Stalson F down on your coop floor.  Does your coop have good ventalation, especially when the door is closed.      Nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

bee

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 14:29 »
My henhouse has been a bit smellier this summer, despite ventilation. I've found the stalosan F works wonders, likewise great for deodorising and disinfecting the run.

grumpydad

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 16:21 »
we have hemcore in the coop and nest boxes, a thick layer that is poo picked daily and sprayed with virkon s weekly and turned, i use virkon as a liquid rather than stanoslan, to keeo the possibility of dust down in the coop, chucks can have lots of respiratory problems, also the reason for not using straw, when damp it can harbour spores in the stalks. hemcore comes lemon smelling as well, it all helps.

easibed horse bedding in the run, and i use virkon in the run as well weelky, stanoslan monthly when the run is turned over.

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 17:05 »
I am using Bliss which has citronella in it and a weekly clean with Poultry Shield. Also garlic in food/water is supposed to help with the smells. Sue

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:22 »
Just a thought which may not be relevant but do your cx have runny noses or any eye discharge?  Coryza is a respiratory condition well known for its distinctive odour and as this seems to have developed suddenly and your cleaning regime seems OK it could be worth checking your birds aren't the source of the smell.  Also rodents can cause smells check there's no waste food in the house or round about.  There should not be water or feed in there anyway.
HF
Truth through science.

xx
smelly coop and pooh

Started by dkelley3 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 21, 2014, 08:47
by loretta cluck
xx
smelly mud

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 10:34
by Flyin Chickens
xx
Smelly wet run

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 19:51
by 4chooks
xx
smelly grass

Started by violet on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 16:30
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 29 queries.