smelly grass

• 16 Replies

violet

• Experienced Member
smelly grass
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:35 »
As mentioned in another post I love my ducks and the poo is not a problem other than the smell... the grass is sour smelling...what can I "clean" the grass with ... any ideas?

poultrygeist

smelly grass
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31 »
Is it just covered in duck poo or is it constantly wet and muddy ?

compostqueen

smelly grass
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 11:54 »
I pick hen poo off the grass every day, a faff I know but I run a B & B so have to keep tidy etc.  It's better for the girls too.  The ones which can't be picked  :lol:  get washed away with the hose pipe or watering can.  I pick up the remnants of their greens etc every day too while I'm at it.  If the lawn starts looking yak my old man will start moaning  :roll: and anyway I need to keep it all clean lest the inspector calls, which he did last week incidentally.  I was chuffed as he looked at the hens and their run area etc and he never said a word.  I was expecting to be interrogated about eggs for breakfast etc but nope  :D

Bodger

smelly grass
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:56 »
Its just part of the joy of keeping ducks I'm afraid.

poultrygeist

smelly grass
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:56 »
He was probably contemplating asking for a half dozen  :wink:

To which you could reply, that'll be £1 please  :D

Rob 8)

poultrygeist

smelly grass
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 11:59 »
You can try sectioning off a part and liming, watering in, then keep it sectioned off for a few days. But the poo does seem to provide a joyous aroma that has to be shared with the neighbourhood  :roll:

Our worst smell comes from emptying the pool. After a few weeks of this, I had to lime and dig over an area. It was almost instantly de-odourised.

Rob  8)

compostqueen

smelly grass
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:02 »
ooh I got some lime in the shed.  Dolomite it is. Will that do or is it sommat else entirely?

poultrygeist

smelly grass
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 12:04 »
I bought a box of garden lime from B&Q. I have a big bag of hydrated lime from my building work but thought I'd best not use that  :shock:

It's fine granules that I just worked into the soil and watered well in.

Best to keep them off it for a few days while it dissolves into the soil.

Rob 8)

violet

• Experienced Member
smelly grass
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 12:19 »
Thank you for information....The hen poo I pick up most days...no prob, on the whole it is solid and doesn't realy smell.  The ducks, as I am sure you duck lovers know are a different matter, it is very squity stuff!!! I just wanted to check that the smell was ok :oops: it's  a sort of sour smell rather than any recognisable poo smell I have known before!

Now tell me about the lime stuff...what do I do with it, how much do I use, is it dangerous to the hens or rabbits?

poultrygeist

smelly grass
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 12:37 »
As far as I remember, the advice is to throw a handful over about a square metre, water/fork it in if you can, but wait a few days for it to dissolve into the soil before letting animals on.
I don't know what it would do to them or even if it's harmful to some and not others.

Obviously the hens might see it as food. I would imagine rabbits would be more discerning.

Rob 8)

Vember

smelly grass
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 12:52 »
I'm probably a bit extreme but I do wash my main bit of grass down every night  :oops:  Even if it's raining  :oops:

I have this thing about them eating where they've pooped, I wouldn't like to eat my tea in the bathroom  :lol:

poultrygeist

smelly grass
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 13:06 »
'tis true that they can pick up worms but over a large area, they should be ok. I try to imagine how things are in the wild and compare with that.

Well done for being so dedicated :)

Rob 8)

violet

• Experienced Member
smelly grass
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 13:24 »
I think I will just keep watering it into the grass...I know what you mean about eating out of the toilet!  and yes I know in the wild it different!

TANGET>>>>>Told my child to make sure they washed their hands after using toilet......he did exactly that....washed his hands in the TOILET!!! :roll:

Vember

smelly grass
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 13:30 »
Washing down for me just gives me an excuse to be outside with them :)

On a "normal " night I can be outside "putting to bed" for an hour & a half, Just love watching them :)

Then I have to keep nipping in to check the forum as well so that always adds more time on to the evening routine  :lol:

Loving the hands down the loo thing Children hey  :lol:

FCG

smelly grass
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 16:01 »
Hah, i spend a lot of time in my garden. I wish they would * off when i am digging!

Gardening lime - should i do this to my run before i try to re-seed it?

xx
smelly mud

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 10:34
by Flyin Chickens
xx
Smelly wet run

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 19:51
by 4chooks
xx
Coop getting bit smelly

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 02:22
by hillfooter
xx
SMELLY HEN! Update

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 18:15
by Chicken_Lover

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 36 queries.