Weed control on my plot

• 27 Replies

jonreeks

Weed control on my plot
« on: August 20, 2010, 21:35 »
Hi all

I'm having trouble keeping weeds under control on my plot. I've attached a few pictures to show you the damage!

What's the best technique to keep them under control? Is there a weed killer that's safe to use around growing crops?

Thanks!
photo-(1).jpg
photo.jpg

fatcat1955

Re: Weed control on my plot
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 22:03 »
They look like annuals, so get the hoe out. Make sure the blade is nice and sharp.

slugwarrior

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:28 »
you might also find it useful to cover any bare areas of ground with old carpet, weed membrane, cardboard weighed down with bricks etc.  if you are on an allotment you may need to check this is allowed. it doesn't look pretty but you got better things to do this time of year than endless weeding.....  failing that cover the ground by sowing a green manure.  this may be preferable if you have a large slug population who love nothing better than feasting on your hard work and then snuggling up under a nice cosy bit of carpet... p.s. hello to trowbridge, my place of birth

gillie

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 09:30 »
There are no weedkillers that are truly safe around crops - they kill the lot!

But frankly you problem does not look that bad.  In the centre of the pics is a slightly taller plant which might be a dandelion.  Dig this out as deep as you can, you probably cant get all the root out so it will be back sometime but do your best with it.

The rest of the weeds look like annuals.  Just keep hoeing them off - it only takes a few minutes.

Gillie

peterjf

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:08 »
i think a dose of roundup might help you here , but be aware that its almost too cold for the roundup ,

the weeds have to be activally growing , frosts are not too far away now ,

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 16:42 »
i think a dose of roundup might help you here , but be aware that its almost too cold for the roundup ,

the weeds have to be activally growing , frosts are not too far away now ,

that will kill everything including veg!!!
first year grower

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 16:18 »
I'm on an allotment and it's my second growing year  :D
My problem is the people who held it before me rotovated in the bindweed/couch/mare's tail so I've got one heck of a job to do to clear it... :(

I work full time but try to get up to the plot as much as I can (Manchester weather permitting, which is usually torrential!)

My biggest worry is trying to make the space look presentable so that I don't get a letter from the committee, any suggestions would be very welcome indeed, thank you friends  :)

Solidthegreat

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 16:33 »
I have taken over a new plot this year, and few months ago put weedkiller on the parts i have not used yet. There were annuals, couchgrass and bindweed everywhere. They have all died back, great, but do i still have to dig out the roots or is it ok to rotovate it now?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 16:34 »
Generally, if they have completely died back, then the advice is that it's ok to rotovate.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 20:14 »
Some of the plot holders on our site grow everything through that black weed control fabric with holes in it.
It appears that they have pieces with differently spaced holes for the different crops.

eg brassica bed piece...holes every 2ftish, onion bed holes 6in apart with 12in between the rows :)

It seems to work for them but wouldn't know how expensive the stuff is to buy!

I tend to hoe whenever it is dry enough ;)

jonreeks

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 21:12 »
Hi guys - me again!

OK thanks for all the advice - i got the hoe out and it only took a few minutes to clear! My next problem is that I now have annuals all around some broccoli i've sowed. How do i clear this without destroying my broccoli!?

Thanks,
Jon
photo-2.jpg

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 00:39 »
I have found that using a trowel to loosen the soil then pulling the weeds out roots and all is strangely satisfying and quite quick with similar looking weeds.  You can clear all around your plants with the minimum of disturbance and without accidentally hoeing off half of them.  Hoeing is quite effective if the weather is dry but in a wet spell I find most weeds seem to hang on to haunt you. I do have a kneeler with handles and a pad that I use to get down to ground level, and up again,  but I find it useful for so many tasks and well worth the seemingly exorbitant initial cost (about £15 from memory).
John

diggerjoe

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:56 »
I do the same planting through weed fabric as  MoS mentioned and this year its been great for all the brassicas - no having to take off the nets to weed. So I can recommend it.

bigben

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 12:34 »
I do the same planting through weed fabric as  MoS mentioned and this year its been great for all the brassicas - no having to take off the nets to weed. So I can recommend it.

I thought about this and did not but have regretted it. I did grow some garlic thru the stuff and was really pleased with both the size of the garlic and how little I had to do. I did not see a single weed squeeze up thru the holes the garlic grew thru.

jonreeks

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 14:47 »
Thanks for the help. For now i've just used my trowel - seems to be OK(ish).

I haven't heard of weed fabric - i'll have a look into it!

Cheers

xx
weed control

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 06:39
by Fisherman
xx
weed control

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 13:50
by m1ckz
xx
Weed Control

Started by spudkins on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 22:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
Weed control

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 11:45
by greenthing

Page created in 0.646 seconds with 30 queries.