Advice on non-fruiting apple tree needed

• 13 Replies

julieanne1811

Advice on non-fruiting apple tree needed
« on: August 18, 2010, 19:50 »
I have a two-year old Coxs Orange Pippen tree. The first year it only had one flower, so no fruit. This year it flowered very well and, knowing that apple trees aren't self-fertile, I took the precaution of getting some flowers from a Bramley and other (unknown) tree, and trying to pollinate my tree with these.
But it hasn't worked at all. What did I do wrong? Can apple trees only be successfully pollinated with the same type of apple? Would I have to locate another Orange Pippen in order for my tree to make fruit?
I got this particular tree because it's relatively 'rare'. But how can I make it fruit? Advice requested - please!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice on non-fruiting apple tree needed
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 20:11 »
You need to have another, different apple tree that flowers at the same time. Coxs Orange Pippen is in fact a very common and famous apple tree.

Bramley's won't pollinate another tree either, sorry, it's pollen is sterile.

julieanne1811

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 20:38 »
Thank you so much! I didn't know that about the Bramley. The other tree was from my mother's garden so next year I'll try that one again.

I have never tasted COP - it's not sold in shops that I know of - and I have been looking forward to tasting one from my own tree. Well, maybe next year.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 21:59 »
Odd that you can't find Cox's orange in your local shops. It's one of the few English apples that most supermarkets stock but the season is relatively short. Autumn to late winter is the best time to find it in the shops.

Cox's Orange Pippin is also rather particular as to soil and climatic conditions it requires in order to succeed. Not one one I'd choose up here in windswept Cumbria.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 22:06 »
Agree with solway cropper - you need to ensure that the variety is suitable for your location.  It would help if you edited your profile to show whereabouts you are.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatcat1955

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 22:39 »
Pruning is the key. If the tree is out of hand start by removing any dead wood. Then cut out any branches that are crossing other branches, then open up the middle. The end result should resemble a wine glass. Then cut back the shoots to 2 or 4 buds which will hopefully give you lots of flowers next year. Then you need the bees help.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 22:43 »
My bramley didnt fruit last year and we were told it would never fruit as our Katy apple doesnt fruit at the same time and is not the right type.

Gave up on apples as we dont have enough room for more trees and low and behold we have a katy apple dripping in fruit and a bramley that has produced about 50 apples which for its size is a massive crop.

No idea what changed but long may it crumble  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 09:53 »
You must have apples nearby and enough bees and suchlike this year for pollination  :D

I hope they continue to work for you ;)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:10 »
Now I find this a bit strange, in my back garden I have both a Bramley and a COP aprrox. 6 feet apart, and I have apples on them both?? Is this down to the Bee's??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:18 »
Yes, they've BEEN busy :D

AndyRVTR

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 10:21 »
Yes, they've BEEN busy :D
That is so bad MOS..  :D :D :D

julieanne1811

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 13:07 »
Pruning is the key. If the tree is out of hand start by removing any dead wood. Then cut out any branches that are crossing other branches, then open up the middle. The end result should resemble a wine glass. Then cut back the shoots to 2 or 4 buds which will hopefully give you lots of flowers next year. Then you need the bees help.

Thank you for this. As it's a baby tree I'm leaving it to settle in ... I wasn't sure about the location of the nearest apple tree and so whether the bees would find both that one and then mine, which is why I tried to do some artificial pollination.#

I'm a little bit disturbed to hear that it might not be happy in my area ... does anyone know more about this to tell me? The soil is nightmarishly sandy and free-draining, but I'm slowly overcoming this with lots of HM compost, chicken manure and lots of watering. Once things settle in they're usually OK, although I have to feed a lot.

But I don't know anything about soil acidity and so on.

gillie

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 15:19 »
Cox's Orange Pippin is not the easiest apple to grow, but I guess Guildford is as good a place as any!  Keep the soil round the trunk clear of grass and weeds and  mulch it if you can.  It may take several years to produce a decent crop.

Gillie

julieanne1811

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 16:04 »
Cox's Orange Pippin is not the easiest apple to grow, but I guess Guildford is as good a place as any!  Keep the soil round the trunk clear of grass and weeds and  mulch it if you can.  It may take several years to produce a decent crop.
Gillie

Ahhh - thank you. I had been imagining flowers and then instant fruit. I shall pocess my soul in patience ...

xx
Young apple tree post stake support method. Advice needed.

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 18:02
by japagow
xx
advice on apple tree

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 15:34
by evie2
xx
I would like some apple tree pruning advice please

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 17, 2014, 18:17
by diospyros
xx
Dwarf apple tree advice

Started by gildroyj1981 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 21:42
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.627 seconds with 30 queries.