Heartbreak again.

• 24 Replies

NormandyMary

Heartbreak again.
« on: August 17, 2010, 18:35 »
I was just getting tea ready when I heard a terrible noise from outside. I dashed into the garden to see Monty running for his life down the bottom of the garden, and the grass covered in red and white feathers. A thin mangey dog was at the top of the garden trying to get to Miss Gray. He backed off when he saw me, I was frightened of him as he looked so fierce. Upshot is, 2 dead, one injured, (Miss Gray) and Monty deeply in shock and slightly injured. No one could feel any more rock bottom than I do at this precise moment. OH has gone out in the car to try and locate the dog, which did have a collar on.
I just feel so sick.

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: Heartbreak again.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 18:40 »
Oh thts awful, the poor girlies :( Hope the poorly ones pull through, and the other half finds the dog, and then finds the owner and kicks him/her all round the garden. If people are going to own dogs, they should look after them  :mad:
Hope you're ok. Keep us updated on their progress xxx
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 18:44 by Aunt Sally »
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 18:41 »
How awful, huge hugs xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 18:52 »
That is dreadful, I am so sorry.  :(
Alan

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 19:19 »
how awful  :(
I hope Monty recovers and that dog is sorted out - so sorry to hear of such upset

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 19:36 »
Thanks so much. Good news  (if there is such a thing) is that the dog was caught by our neighbour. He has taken him into custody and is dealing with it all for us (finding owner or sending to dog pound etc). Miss Gray, has quite a few bite marks on her back, Im just hoping that the shock wont kill her. Monty seems to be okay, he bit my hand off when I gave him some bread. Although shocked, he is still perky.
I just cant believe that Ive lost my babies. Being my last 3 they were so special, and each had its own character. If this is country living, take me back to Swindon!! (JOKE)
I made cauliflower cheese for tea tonight, our favourite, now we're too p*ssed off and upset to eat any.

daisy1990

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 19:39 »
How awful for you, we have three dogs as well as three hens and love them all dearly but keep them well apart.  No matter how well trained I think it is in some dogs natures to hunt (not all I know, but mine would chase animals if given the chance) how irresponsible of the owner.  Hope they recover well
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 20:27 »
You must be feeling really shaken!  What a horrid thing to happen.  I have two dogs of my own and quite agree that owners need to be responsible with their dogs around animals.  Let us know how your girls get on.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

NormandyMary

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 08:56 »
Very happy to say that both my wounded soldiers survived the night. Both have eaten and are having a quiet day indoors. Miss Gray has a few wounds on her back, but I do believe that they are superficial, so I will be getting the spray antiseptic out shortly to make sure they dont get infected. I didnt want to do it last night, as she was shocked enough.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 09:09 »
Glad to hear they're on the mend now :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 09:17 »
Just caught up with this one.  Sorry to hear your news Mary!  but hope the chickens come through okay.

evie2

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 11:04 »
How awful, I know it wont bring your chickens back, but the dog's owners should feel suitably ashamed for not keeping it under control.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Jeanette

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 12:03 »
I am so sorry. Dogs cannot be trusted around small animals, I have 3 dogs but would not leave them with my girls. I really hope they find the owner of the dog they should be made to repay for injury and the death of your girls. But i do know that it would not be any where near to the loss. They deserved to be kicked around the garden a few times. 
I am sending big ((((((hugs)))))). I am really sorry.

NormandyMary

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 18:03 »
Things are looking up. Miss Gray took herself out of the small house (the maternity unit) where I ha put her last night so that she could remain calm, and went to join Monty in the big house. She is eating and drinking and walking around. She even laid an egg!! I think she must have had one "up the pipe". Bless her.
Thank you all so very much for your good wishes and hugs.
We think we have identified the dog, we think it belongs to our new neighbours, who have disappeared, leaving their dogs in a cage in the back garden. According to other neighbours who came down to see us today, the conditions are squalid, and they are going to be reporting the owners to the French version of the RSPCA. Somehow the dog must have escaped, and being starving, went for my girls. Im normally quite a placid person, but Im determined that these a*seholes will pay for my new birds when I get them.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 18:26 »
That is just terrible that they went away and left the dogs in a cage - no wonder the dogs went looking for food. I definately don't want to be the neighbours when they come face to face with your wrath!
I hope the dogs get taken away from them as soon as possible and you can have some kind of peace of mind.

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 37 queries.