Cross polinated Pumpkin and courgette can I eat them and when

• 6 Replies

potatoheart

Hi, it is my first year on my allotment and I thought I would grow some pumpkins, They are looking great but I have some very odd large oblong green stripey ones. I think they have cross pollinated with my courgettes. My questions are can I eat them and when. I have a couple that are very large. How would be best to cook them and what are tese cross pollinated plants called?
Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cross polinated Pumpkin and courgette can I eat them and when
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 15:13 »
which variety of pumpkin are you growing, out of curiosity.
Even if they have cross pollinated the fruit this year will look as they should.

It would only be if you sowed the seed from a crosspollinated pumpkin that the fruits might look different.

Are you sure that the long stripey ones are not just courgettes that have got too big, as that's what it sounds like :)

GreenOwl

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 15:16 »
Cross-pollination would cause changes in the next generation not this.  Did the seed come out of the same packet?  Any piccies?  Sound like marrows.  Tend to be a bit watery but you could slice in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds and stuff with something spicy (rice or cous cous can be good as they absorb any excess water but spicy beef is nice as well.)  Eat them when you think they are ready.

potatoheart

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 15:48 »
which variety of pumpkin are you growing, out of curiosity.
Even if they have cross pollinated the fruit this year will look as they should.

It would only be if you sowed the seed from a crosspollinated pumpkin that the fruits might look different.

Are you sure that the long stripey ones are not just courgettes that have got too big, as that's what it sounds like :)
Hi thanks for your reply I planted 3 types, Ghostrider, hundredweight and amazonka. They were all from packets. They are very large, I have taken a picture but they are twice the size now. I'm not sure how to post it though.

potatoheart

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 15:54 »
Cross-pollination would cause changes in the next generation not this.  Did the seed come out of the same packet?  Any piccies?  Sound like marrows.  Tend to be a bit watery but you could slice in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds and stuff with something spicy (rice or cous cous can be good as they absorb any excess water but spicy beef is nice as well.)  Eat them when you think they are ready.
Thanks, they are not marrows as they are too fat, its all very strange but very exciting, I will eat one soon.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 16:14 »
If they are pumpkins then you really must wait until they change colour, to indicate that they are ripe.

Unripe they taste of..........................not a lot really ...like marrows in my experience :D

I've Googled and all of yours should be orange when ripe

cornishgirl

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 19:52 »
The squash family are notoriously promiscious and will cross pollinate with others on your patch and your neighbours. Last year I did a big patch of pumpkins/ squashes / marrows etc. The marrows and courgettes bred true but the butternuts, crown prince, spaghetti squash and three types of pumpkin had a field day! Yes you can eat them in any way you would eat a pumpkin - my favourite is to roast them with onion, garlic and any herbs and other robust veg you have and serve them - on pasta, in potatoes, with roast hot / cold meat etc etc......

xx
Cross polinated Squash Plants?

Started by dmhain on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 13:30
by arugula
sad
Butternut/Pumpkin cross fertilisation??

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 11:12
by A. Fallowfield
clip
Pumpkin, Courgette or something else?

Started by CSChris89 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 16, 2023, 08:23
by New shoot
xx
pumpkin/courgette/marrow

Started by biosolids on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 11:28
by David.

Page created in 0.713 seconds with 32 queries.