When should I sow Sweet Williams ?

• 6 Replies

garddwr

When should I sow Sweet Williams ?
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:49 »
Hi,

Just finished collecting the seeds from my Sweet Williams and they are now drying in the greenhouse.

Should I sow them now or save them until spring ?

I remember that I sowed them around May 2009 and they flowered late spring this year.

Thanks
G

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: When should I sow Sweet Williams ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 13:39 »
Hi garddwr,

To achieve spring flowering, you can plant the seeds indoors a couple of months before the last frost i.e. early next year, then transplant the seedlings up to the flowerbed later when risk of frost is over.

My Sweet Williams aren't anywhere near ready for the seeds to be collected, they're still giving me a vibrant kick of vivid pink next to the orange Marigolds. :D :D

:)

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

garddwr

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 15:53 »
Hi garddwr,

To achieve spring flowering, you can plant the seeds indoors a couple of months before the last frost i.e. early next year, then transplant the seedlings up to the flowerbed later when risk of frost is over.

My Sweet Williams aren't anywhere near ready for the seeds to be collected, they're still giving me a vibrant kick of vivid pink next to the orange Marigolds. :D :D

:)

Thanks I'll give that a try about February then.

And is it possible to sow them now as well as they did survive the frost and the snow this year but this was from a May sowing as I said.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 16:01 »
It sounds to me as though your May sowing set them back. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you sow them now they will be at the wrong stage of development and won't flower next year. :)

I'm sure someone who is sure will be along soon..... ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 16:08 »
I'm not sure at all....  :blink: All I know is I have some self-sown on the allotment that grew from last year's lot...although that may have been the year befores!   ::)

I also have a deep tray full grown from seed and sitting there looking at me wondering where on earth they are going to go - As if knew the answer.

I want them to flower in my parents front garden but at present there's no space.

Yours....totally confused.  :wacko:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

garddwr

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 23:48 »
I'm not sure at all....  :blink: All I know is I have some self-sown on the allotment that grew from last year's lot...although that may have been the year befores!   ::)

I also have a deep tray full grown from seed and sitting there looking at me wondering where on earth they are going to go - As if knew the answer.

I want them to flower in my parents front garden but at present there's no space.

Your not the only one that's confused!

And something else I thought of is if they self seed about now ish for mine anyway when do they flower ?

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 01:47 »

Your not the only one that's confused!

And something else I thought of is if they self seed about now ish for mine anyway when do they flower ?

I reckon the flowers will bloom in the spring tra-la! But this might be early, middle or late spring and into summer... eventually!  :lol:

I think I will just leave mine growing in their deep seed tray and wait... If there's room I'll transplant into a nursery bed and move again in late Autumn to flowering position.

If there's no room they will have to stay put and go straight into flowering positions asp after summer bedding is lifted.

Here's wishing you luck getting the info you need. Fat lot of help I am  ::)  :lol:

xx
Sweet Williams

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2020, 11:37
by mrs bouquet
xx
sweet williams

Started by Spana on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 08:33
by Spana
xx
sweet williams for cutting

Started by barbarella on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 10:53
by barbarella
xx
Sweet Williams question...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2013, 07:01
by Growster...

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 28 queries.