do my chucks need grit?

• 3 Replies

zopadooper

do my chucks need grit?
« on: August 14, 2010, 09:00 »
I recently acquired 6 ex-bat hens who have settled in and are doing well in their large wooded enclosure.  As they are scratching around in the dirt all day do they still need grit?  If so, do I just put it in a bowl or mix it with their feed?  I ask because I am getting occasional broken eggs with very soft shells.

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: do my chucks need grit?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:13 »
It's good to have grit available all the time for your ladies in a bowl and they will help themselves. You don't mix it with their food.
I hope they are all happier now? Have they grown their feathers back?
Alan

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 09:31 »
Mine have pellets as normal food and daily treat of mixed corn in the evening. I've noticed that after eating the corn they often have a good peck at the bowl of grit and a long drink. They don't seem interested in the grit when eating breakfast. This suggests that a seperate bowl of grit is more to their liking and that they have a good idea when the food needs more grinding, but that calcium needs are not their main use for grit. When I had soft eggs I put a little limestone flour in the food and put cod-liver oil (for vitamin D) on treats. Things improved, but that cannot be taken as proof of efficacy - they might have improved anyway - however it's safe and cheap.

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 09:45 »
Grit is just used in their digestive system to grind up food. You need a bowl of oyster shell for to them available all the time so they can get enough calcium. As suggested lime flour in their food will help make the shells stronger but should not be used permanently. Greens such as cabbage, lettuce etc. will help colour the yolks.

xx
I WANT TO KEEP CHUCKS?

Started by sydlin on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 17:13
by calli
xx
Nom-chucks

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 16:43
by scrappydoo
xx
MY chucks

Started by dugless on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 21:23
by too many girls
xx
chucks....

Started by iannp on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 20:01
by iannp

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 30 queries.