p.s. to my post on types of hen

• 2 Replies

audi

p.s. to my post on types of hen
« on: August 12, 2010, 14:02 »
What I intended to say what are the pros and cons of hybrid or pure bred.

hillfooter

Re: p.s. to my post on types of hen
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 15:13 »
If you are trying to choose it all depends on what you want from your chx.  The fact you are asking this question suggests you are asking about layer chickens and not Broilers so I will assume that.

If you want lots of eggs and some interesting pets and aren't interested in the social side of chicken keeping choose hybrids.  They lay lots of eggs particularly in their first 2 seasons and make good pets too.  However if you want to keep chx as more of a hobby or want spectacular looking birds, or bantams, or want to breed birds, or engage in the social side of breed clubs, or get into showing etc then choose Pure Breeds.

It's like the difference between mongrels and pedegree dogs really.  Most people start with hybrids because they want eggs and hybrids are readily available from garden centres and breeders.   Once they get to know a little more they want to get more into the hobby angle and want specific Pure Breeds.

Hybrids are bred for commercial purposes mostly (though hobbyists are now catered for) and are created at each generation from breeder stock to have specific laying qualities.  Though these days looks and egg colour for hobbyists are also bred for.  However hybrids aren't standardised and don't breed true to type and many small breeders have their own specific types which can't be replicated across breeders.  Many small breeders give their hybrids fancy names which are just for marketing purposes and are totally meaning less other than in context to that breeder for that years hatchings.  Some hybrids come with well established genetic make up and are produced with consistent characteristics over many years for the commercial market.  With hybrids you can ONLY buy juventile growers/POL (point of lay) hen birds as cocks which are produced are useless being no use for breeding from and no use for the table either so are culled early as soon as they can be sexed.  (Commercial growers get day old unsexed chicks from hatcheries to grow on for egg producers, but hobbyist usually just buy sexed growers/POL pullets).

Pure breeds are standarised and breed true to type.  Both cocks and hens are bred and available as POL/adult birds.  The type standards are set by the Poultry Club of GB.  Pure breeds can be layers, utility or purely showing breeds.  Utility are useful for laying or the table, layers for eggs like hybrids but not so prolific and usually lay for a few more seasons than hybrids.  Show breeds are purely for fanciers for looks, breeding and showing alone.  Pure breeds are mostly available from enthusiast breeders who breed specific breeds or small commercial breeders who may have several breeds available.

Most pure breeds have a bantam version which are useful if space is an issue.  They can be good layers and pets but frequently they are just show birds only.  Although I believe there are bantam hybrids I can't personally understand the rationale for these as they will only produce small eggs and are no use for showing or the table.

So there you are in a nutshell.  It's horses for courses and it's what you want them for. There's no best buy option!

HF
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 15:36 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

audi

Re: p.s. to my post on types of hen
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 16:44 »
 :)  Thank you that has made it clearer for me.

xx
where to get incubators and best types

Started by darcyhen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 19:24
by Thompson24
xx
Chicken food types - help please?

Started by blossom1044 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 18:31
by stamford
xx
keeping chicken withother types of birds

Started by sue appleby on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 13:14
by Lewjam
xx
Hello 1st Post

Started by Carolann on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 12:20
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 36 queries.