Is this one of the worst summers we have had???

• 26 Replies

David.

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 19:02 »
Crops awful, fishing (to eat) useless and don't know what's going to fill the freezers this year.

The blackberries don't look like they are going to be as good/early as last year and the crab apples here appear to have been hit by frost whilst in blossom.

However the bullace look good and I hope it's going to be a good year for fungi.

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 20:42 »
our crops are fair to rubbish  :( ,we were 3 ft under for a couple of days so its salvage what you can really,got disgustingly muddy yesterday gathering some potatos,its far to wet and i think they will start to rot,so ive put them(rocket)in sacks in the outhouse its the coolest and darkest place ive got :(

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 20:52 »
Quote from: "mum of 3"
our crops are fair to rubbish  :( ,we were 3 ft under for a couple of days so its salvage what you can really,got disgustingly muddy yesterday gathering some potatos,its far to wet and i think they will start to rot,so ive put them(rocket)in sacks in the outhouse its the coolest and darkest place ive got :(

Sorry to hear that, hopefully the weather will improve soon
Ah well ! There is always next year !

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 16:14 »
lovely day today folks,should help the ground :D

Boothy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 17:40 »
Quote from: "mum of 3"
lovely day today folks,should help the ground :D

lovely here in ossett too!
Total beginner - please bear with me if I ask daft questions!!

Trotboy

Update on my crops
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 09:38 »
In case anyone's interested, I've now had a chance to look at my crops thouroughly thanks to the window in the dire weather.

Sadly my potatoes do have the blight - not too badly yet, but it's getting worse. I've lifted some of my first Desiree maincrop which are fine, if a little small, but I looked at the pink fir apples and they are berely formed yet, so I think I'm going to lose them unless the sun kills off the blight (Fat chance with more rain forecast)

My Carrots & Parsnips have gone completely - no sign of any plants at all or roots.

My beans & Galric are rallying thanks to the sun, but my lettuce seems to be stuck at tiny size.

Some of my marrows have been lost to the slugs, but the few left are doing well.

Just don't know what to plant now - might try some lambs lettuce & cress, anyone any bright ideas? Is it too late for a crop of rice?
Only the Devon shovel can save us!

David.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 13:36 »
12 x 20ft rows of Kestrel all had blight. Dug about 6 plants up yesterday evening and they only have 1 or two small tubers to each plant in sloppy wet soil (despite being well earthed up).

What a waste of time. Luckily the blight did not spread to my other potato beds (earlies, maincrop, chipping potatoes, & baking potatoes).

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 16:28 »
They shouldn't have destroyed so much of the rain forests!!!

David.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 16:43 »
It all seems to be changing from a problem that might affect our children/grandchildren to a plague on us.

I also remember the problem being presented as "what do we do when the oil runs out?", not how to cope with the effect of only burning part of it.

So what's it going to be like when it's all burnt, because if we don't do it, some other country will?

The weather this year has actually caused me to start slipping into deep depression in July.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 19:06 »
Quote from: "David."
The blackberries don't look like they are going to be as good/early as last year and the crab apples here appear to have been hit by frost whilst in blossom.

That's odd, David - I had my first ripe blackberry today - seems a bit early for them to me?

I'm just glad I've got lots of last year's veg left in the freezer, as I fear I may not have an awful lot to put in there this season...  Although my cauliflowers are much better than last year, and the kohlrabi is beginning to swell.  Courgettes are looking OK, but slugs have taken their toll on the winter squash and the root veg is just abysmal.  Got lots of sugar snap peas, though, so it's not all bad!

Just hoping for a good crop of fartichokes at the end of the year.  I'll forgive all my crops failing if they're OK!  :shock:

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 19:20 »
I can't believe just how much rain the UK has had this summer, and over here we're practically drought.  We finally got an hour of rain this past week, and today we had two 1 minute showers. Wow.  Have to admit I've had to do a lot of watering despite mulches, but things are doing well. An acquaintance told us his father's place has 4" deep cracks all over his lawns. He's had no rain whatsoever this year. Hope you all manage to salvage something from your crops.  :(

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 20:09 »
harvested all my rockets today and put them and onions in the outhouse where its cool and dark,few were starting to get a few white spots so think we timed it right :) .also dragged our peas up as they were dead,maybe we will have time to get a fresh crop in :)

xx
How is your plot coping with this summers weather?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 21, 2017, 14:30
by sunshineband
xx
Your Best and Worst?

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:09
by diggerjoe
thumbup
The worst beginner there ever was!

Started by Annielot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 19:11
by Yorkie
xx
Your worst weed?

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

90 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 16:55
by debbiedoll

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 29 queries.