Preparing for chicks

• 2 Replies

bantam novice

Preparing for chicks
« on: August 10, 2010, 20:14 »
Hello there

Any advice would be very much appreciated. 

My broody hen is sitting on dust extracted wood shavings in a cardboard box with one side cut out.  This is inside the coop where there is food (mixed corn) for her and water.  The water is too high so I will need a shallower water dish with stones in it. 
Do I need to take any precautions with the cardboard box or wood shavings so that the chicks do not get crushed? 

I have a smaller feeder ready if they arrive (not wanting to count chicks before hatched) and will be getting some chick crumbs to put in it.  I will have to make sure that there is a ramp out into the run for the chicks (Saturday job).  Part of the outside run is covered with plywood on top to provide shelter and the rest has strong wire mesh covering it.  I have dusted broody hen (Elanor) with redmite powder before she started sitting and will spray her with forntline.  Is there anything else I should be doing?

I am slightly concerned that the weather seems to have cooled off considerably and wonder if I should not try to rig up a heat source such as a lamp for the house.

Sorry about being the neurotic nervous newbie!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Preparing for chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 20:29 »
no need to panic, the broody will deal with everything. Put the chick crumb and water close by to her, she will stay sat on the eggs for a couple of days after the first chick has hatched if she can feel any life in the other eggs then she will bring them out to feed. If they feel cold she will hide them all underneath her and you will see the odd little head poking out from under her wing. When she first brings them out is when I give the coop a thorough clean up to remove the old unhatched eggs and any shells plus the old shavings. It is lovely to watch and listen to her teaching them to eat, drink and scratch around for feed  :D.
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

Re: Preparing for chicks
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 20:46 »
Thanks Joyfull,
that is very reassuring  :)
15 days and counting!

xx
Preparing for broody hatching her chicks... Advice please

Started by moomintroll on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 15:49
by moomintroll
xx
Preparing for thw winter

Started by azakeen1980 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 11:45
by Jeanette
xx
Preparing for freedom!

Started by Fannyann on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 22:26
by Foxy
xx
Preparing a chook for the table

Started by Nails on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 20:45
by Nails

Page created in 0.585 seconds with 31 queries.