winter time

• 11 Replies

Bilbo67

winter time
« on: August 10, 2010, 13:36 »
Hi all,
I have had my girls since April, With winter coming up i'm trying to get prepared :). So the questions I have got are I am feeding my girls on layers pellets, But I what do i feed them through the winter malt? At the moment they are on a poultry drink with vitamins in Is there another I can use through the malt or am I still okay to use this any advice will be gratefull.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: winter time
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 18:18 »
Some people like to give their hens a little bit of fish flavoured cat food to give them some extra protein during their moult or you could give them a little bit of scrambled egg (no milk in it though) or chopped boiled egg if you wish. I never bother but sometimes will add life guard tonic to their water.
If it is very frosty or snowy I make mine some porridge - made up with water - and give them this to warm them up or you could make their layers into a porridge as well.
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 18:27 »
Some people use poultry spice to help them during a moult.  Mine haven't moulted yet but will give them poultry spice as per instructions on the package and I also give mine warm mash made with layers and hot water.  They seem to prefer this to porridge which I made for them originally.  I am still fairly new to chicken keeping so will be waiting to see what happens during the moult.  I still don't understand why they don't have them during the summer when it is warmer. :D
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 18:29 »
because where they originate from our winter is not the same time as theirs.

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 14:07 »
When it is really cold i give mine a nice warm breakfast.  All it is is layeras pellets and hot water and they would take your arm of to get it. :D The other thing i do is to put vasaline on the combs when it is freezing. The last thing i do and i dont know why but i put an old duvet over the coup. Please dont laugh to much i know i am daft. :)

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 14:09 »
don't block any ventilation holes when you do this. Also remember the chickens come with their own feather duvet so really don't need another one  :)

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 14:41 »
don't block any ventilation holes when you do this. Also remember the chickens come with their own feather duvet so really don't need another one  :)

I just had a quick but unsuccessful search for the infra red heat photo of the chicken that was posted last year. It really showed how good the hens natural duvet is.

Bilbo67

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 15:09 »
thankyou all for your comments and taking time out to answer me i will try to find an old duvet lol  :lol:

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 23:28 »
A couple of things I do for my girls.

When they start to malt I change their food to growers pellets as this gives them an extra boost and as they slow down on egg production it gives them the opportunity to grow better feathers.

I put a dash of Apple Cider Vinegar in their water to keep their tummies happy.

I feed plenty of greens if available. It alleviates boredom and is good for them.

Porridge is wonderful.

Lastly and please don't laugh. My family think I'm bonkers but I prefer the expression eccentric. I use on old stoneware hot water bottle. I place it inside the coop on very very  cold nights. It just takes the edge of the cold. They can be bought from e bay fairly cheaply or try Freecycle in your area.

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 04:27 »
Keep a check on their drinkers as the water will freeze, the water in mine gets changed twice a day in winter when it's really harsh.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 14:29 »
I have one of those stone hot water bottles, problem is they don't stay warm for very long. The girls huddle up together when it gets really cold and I put a bit of straw in the coop for them.

Sue33

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 14:36 »

our girls have old-fashioned "mash" in the winter, boil up your veggie peelings with some added bran or oats, they go mad for it  :D

xx
Winter Time

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 13:32
by woodburner
xx
Winter Hens A good time ?

Started by Alby on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 27, 2008, 19:46
by Alby
xx
Winter Tip

Started by Floss16 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 18:27
by Derculees
xx
my first winter

Started by kellym on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2010, 19:40
by kellym

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 29 queries.