New coop-how to prepare for chooks

• 4 Replies

PaulineM

New coop-how to prepare for chooks
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:29 »
Hi,
I am waiting for my new coop to arrive, when it does what should I do to prepare for the arrival of new chooks. Should I treat for red mite etc,. Also should I contact sellers who are advertising hens for sale or should i go to a poultry fair. Having only read up on chooks what should I look out for when looking at the chickens and what questions should I definitely ask. Thanks for your help.

1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New coop-how to prepare for chooks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 13:38 »
I wouldn't go to a poultry fair until you are far more experienced, many people have bought young cockerels after being told they were pullets and also sometimes you can bring home birds with illnesses. Try and chat to local chicken keepers and see who they recommend or visit several breeders (best time to go is before your coup is built - this way it stops you buying the first ones you see) and check out what they have, the conditions they are kept in and the health of the birds in stock. Do not be put off with some that look thread bare they could be moulting or a cockerels favourite girl.
As for the coup make sure if it is wooden that it has been treated with a preservative you don't want the wood to rot in the first winter, follow Hillfooters advice and paint the inside with a diatom slurry and then go shopping for birds  :D
Good luck xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 13:52 »
Thanks Joyfull, will do that.

:)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 16:23 »
Hiya, arh your not to far away from me atall, if your ever down in Lisburn again you will have to pop round and we can have a chat and you can meet my girls !!!!!      Just be abit carefull were you get your birds from,    i know a couple of breeders that i can really vouch for in the Lisburn area, if you want there details sure let me know and i can pm them to you, i have been to  a few poultry sales around here and putting it politey the birds werent in good conditions atall i think carolbriar whos a member on here aswell can vouch for that,  for your first hens i really think you should as Joyfull advised seek out a good breeder,  let me know if you want any details, if you want me to we could meet up and i could take you to them, its no probs.    nickyxx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 19:19 »
I would agree.  the first breeder I went to had so many hens in one shed that the smell was overpowering and you couldn't see any individually. The second had them in a lovely big barn (still under heat) all the adult birds were free ranging outside and looked lovely and healthy.  The second breeder also took an interest in our experience (or lack of it at the time!) gave us lots of advice and told us that if any of the girls turned out to be boys he would swap them (of course we couldn't have done this as we loved them within hours of getting them home!)  I think if you visit a few breeders you will just know which to avoid!  Good luck
Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
Should I prepare the coop and run now?

Started by red on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 13:38
by bantam novice
xx
Planning a new coop for 10 chooks

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 12:04
by Casey76
xx
Chooks still sleeping on top of the coop and shaking heads.

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 21:31
by grinling
xx
Three dead chooks - deep clean of coop and run?

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 07, 2012, 23:25
by grinling

Page created in 0.608 seconds with 29 queries.