Can anyone help a newbie with fruit identification please?

• 21 Replies

gembob

I have been looking for plum, sloe or damson trees for the past few days. I have attached a picture of a fruit that I have found. Being a newbie I am a bit unsure of what it is. I am guessing its part of the plum family and that it edible. Has anyone any ideas?

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
Re: Can anyone help a newbie with fruit identification please?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 22:11 »
It's hard to tell from the photo, but if the bush you got it from had whacking great thorns on it, then it's a sloe.

gembob

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 22:20 »
Thanks for the mega quick response. It was more like a tree than a bush and i don't think there were any thorns on it. When I got home, i cut one in half and it had a stone in the middle similar to a plum and smelt plum ish. The tree didn't have large amounts of fruits and the fruit that it did have weren't in clusters if that helps.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 22:23 »
Thanks for the mega quick response. It was more like a tree than a bush and i don't think there were any thorns on it. When I got home, i cut one in half and it had a stone in the middle similar to a plum and smelt plum ish. The tree didn't have large amounts of fruits and the fruit that it did have weren't in clusters if that helps.

It sounds more like a damson, then - a damson is like a very small plum.

Sloes aren't exactly edible, btw, though if you mix them with gin and sugar and leave them for a couple of months, they're eminently drinkable!

gembob

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 22:28 »
I was hoping to put any sloes that I find in gin. At this rate i think it will be good old lemon thats going in it. Thanks for the advise on damsons, think ill give them a few more weeks to ripen and then go and get them. Fingers crossed I don't poison myself.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 22:31 »
the pic was a bit small but it looks like a greengage to me, which is like a plum only green or yellow and as sweet as sugar. Absolutely delish!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 22:43 »
I've got two trees in  my hedgerow that look very much like that. Mine are wild plums. Look just like small plums, green/yellow, stone in middle, taste just a tad on the bitter side. Trees are getting fairly tall but kind of narrow and willowy in shape. You'll have to wait and see if they change colour to know whether they're damson or wild plum :)

If I can find my camera I'll take a piccie of fruit and leaves so you can compare with yours.

gembob

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 22:50 »
Thanks for all the advise guys, i just had a little bite of one and it tastes similar to plum so am guessing that its ok to eat. I had trouble getting a full size picture to load onto the computer hence the tiny picture. Would be fab to see the tree Shokkyy, do you eat the fruit and if so when is it at its best?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 23:09 »
Thanks for all the advise guys, i just had a little bite of one and it tastes similar to plum so am guessing that its ok to eat. I had trouble getting a full size picture to load onto the computer hence the tiny picture. Would be fab to see the tree Shokkyy, do you eat the fruit and if so when is it at its best?

No, I don't. I've got a tree full of super sweet golden gages in my garden, so I've never been remotely tempted to eat the considerably less sweet wild plums :) I have eaten one or two before, though, just to see what they tasted like. And an old chap I know told me when he was a kid all the local kids used to scrump them from the trees, so I guess they don't do you any harm. Maybe they'd be good for jam or jelly, but I've never tried it. I've got blackthorn/sloes in my hedgerow as well, though sadly I can't stand sloe gin so they're wasted on me, but I'll try to do a piccie with sloe, wild plum and golden gage side by side so you can see the difference.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 23:51 »
sadly I can't stand sloe gin so they're wasted on me

I did damson brandy one year, along the same lines as sloe gin. Maybe sloe brandy would work too? Or sloe-whatever-your-favourite-tipple-is. Seems a shame to waste the sloes (although the ones we don't pick here seem to get eaten by something).

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 23:56 »
Could be a yellow cherry plum and you can tell if they're ripe because they drop all over the grass which saves picking. They're sweet and make good jam/crumbles/just eat raw.

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 06:50 »
I thought yellow cherry plum, taste wise i have found them very bland.

Greengages, if you find a tree are food fit for gods. :)

madcat

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 07:49 »
I've got a wild plum tree which I do pick.  The fruit when ripe is yellow and sweet - eat like sweets or cook in something that you puree or drip - getting the stones out of them raw is a right pig.  Next doors have a similar one that ripens earlier to red.

I've also got some small gage - bushes really - also sweet (the slugs and snails climb the trees to get at the fruit!) and also a pain to stone.

We eat some of the plums and gages raw as fruit, some I make into plum cheese (push the puree thro a sieve - gets rid of the stones and most of the skin which would otherwise make the jam tough and potentially tooth cracking because fishing them out of jam takes forever!), some into a batch of spiced plum sauce (for the freezer) to jolly up cold pork or duck ... or even pork sausage when I'm getting desperate for something a bit different!  Oh and plum chutney is nice, but a little goes a long way.  Like damson chutney.

Along the lane the damsons & sloes are already going black, about a month early ...  but then even the elder bushes are looking very stressed from lack of rain.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

gembob

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 19:22 »
Thanks for the great ideas madcat, the spiced plum sauce sounds wonderful. I'll hunt for a recipe and give it a go. Just picked some of the fruit and I am going to have a think what to do with it.  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 22:14 »
It is possible that this is a nectarine although the picture is so small it is hard to tell.

We have a 15 foot high tree that produces relatively small fruit – edible if the weather is right.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
newbie hello and training fruit trees

Started by woolybear on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 15:57
by gillie
xx
Newbie with question #1: very neglected fruit trees

Started by Togalosh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 21:48
by Togalosh
clip
Unusual frost damage of hardy-fruit flowers and likely outcomes for fruit?

Started by Joe Hicks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2020, 20:36
by DIY GRANDAD
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 36 queries.