Can I rescue my jam?

• 8 Replies

soaplady

Can I rescue my jam?
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:58 »
Hi all, I have tried to make gooseberry jam  and curd this year with all of my crop from my single bush. Total disaster so far, my curd split and was disgusting, it tasted grainy, goodness knows what I managed to do, so that has gone down the insinkerator. My jam tastes so sweet and caramelly, and is very very stiff.  :( Is there any way I can rescue this? I have made such a mess of things this year, ruined my redcurrant jelly too. I have about three pounds of cherries in the fridge waiting for me to do something with them, but frankly am worried now that I will mess that up too.

Would appreciate any advice about rescuing my jam if possible,

Bizzi Lizzi

Re: Can I rescue my jam?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:22 »
I will investigate further for you about your jam and churd but if the jam is solid it certainly sounds as if you have over-cooked it and the caramelly taste could be too much sugar and again over-cooking.  I'll have a look in my books and see what they say but you could maybe use the jam in cooking (tarts, buns etc).

Will get back to you.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:34 »
Hi Soap lady, did you add any butter to the jam (to help with the scum)?  I've found that can leave jam tasting caramelly...

In fact I once accidentally made kiwi toffee by adding a little too much butter for the amount of jam I was making then cooking it too long lol!

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 14:02 »
I'd say you had overcooked it and so there is not much you can do to get rid of caramel taste, it is basically burnt sugar.

All I can suggest is that you use it mixed in with some very tart fruit to make pies, rhubarb or very sharp cooking apples?

Livinhope

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 15:15 »
Re adding the butter.  I always add the butter at the end of the cooking, not before.

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:40 »
Hi Soap lady, did you add any butter to the jam (to help with the scum)?  I've found that can leave jam tasting caramelly...

In fact I once accidentally made kiwi toffee by adding a little too much butter for the amount of jam I was making then cooking it too long lol!

Kiwi toffee - sounds good  :)

pottyaboutgrowing

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 16:53 »
Hi Soap lady I too have had my share of disasters with jam, ::) but usually try to turn it around by doing something else with it if it can't be rescued. With the caramel y jam try putting at the bottom of a sponge for puddings or adding some water and making a sauce for ice cream etc. You can also make wine from jam. Maybe that would have been a good thing to do with the one you threw down the sink, as the texture would not have been an issue in the wine.. Just a thought for next time.. :nowink: of course there wont be a next time.  :unsure:   
Please make yourself at home! Clean my kitchen...    A  good balanced diet is a piece of cake! In each hand.:)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 22:38 »
But don't worry about it being a bit too stiff, you can easily rescue it from that point of view. Just chuck it back in the pan, add some more water and start again. The only time you can't rescue it like that is if you manage to make it set so hard you can't get it out of the jam jars - and yes, I did do that once :) Though even then all you need to do is stick the jars in the microwave and heat them gently, because the jam will go runny as it heats up. But don't forget to take the lid off first.

And just a thought, but how about adding a bit of lemon juice to cut through the sweetness? I've never tried it, but it might work with gooseberry. Anybody tried that?

Junie

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 22:45 »
I had a disaster last year with my first ever jam. :( My Courgette and Ginger Jam was rock solid and full of sugar crystals, it was impossible to get it out with a spoon.  It became known as Courgette fudge.  Once extracted from the jar , we put it in a ramekin, and heated in the microwave - it was delicious on rice pudding or ice cream, and gave everyone else a giggle.
This year my jam is perfect!! :D

xx
Please help rescue my jam!

Started by jennypike on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 23:34
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 28 queries.