Not done this before..

• 7 Replies

Livinhope

Not done this before..
« on: July 31, 2010, 18:28 »
but is it normal practice to blanch apples before freezing.  I've got a lot of unripe eating apples.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Not done this before..
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 18:57 »
According to this site it stops them browning........but I think you would loose a lot of flavour in the water.

I usually just chop them and cook them in a very little water, so that they are just going soft and freeze, liquid as well, so that they can go in sauces and pies, I add the sugar after freezing if I need to :)

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 20:49 »
Thanks for the input.  I've done a couple, blanched and put them in the freezer to see what happens, I can leave the rest for a couple of days as they were picked not fallers.  It has stopped them going brown.  Actually I wouldn't say they were blanched in the true sense of the word.  I had a pan of boiling water popped them in and had them out and into cold water in seconds.  We'll see, it's always worth experimenting.

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 20:50 »
You can also put them into cold salt water as you are preparing them (1tsp to a pint of water) then rinse and pat them dry   This also stops them going brown.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 00:19 »
So does lemon juice in the water!  :)

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 11:45 »
It's not so much the preparing of apples that I have found to be the problem but when they go into the freezer they tend to brown while they are freezing.  From examination it looks as though my dunk into the boiling water followed by quick cooling in cold has done the trick and they haven't discoloured.

Spana

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 21:20 »
I just slice apples into freezer bags and tip sugar on them and give  the bag a shake so the slices are covered in the sugar.  Never had any go brown. :)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 21:14 »
I just slice the apples and put them in the freezer bags without sugar so that I can later adjust sugar to the particular recipe. I've done this for many years and never have them brown.
The trick is to peel and slice only a certain amount, bag them and get them into the freezer before proceeding with the next batch. If your freezer (and we're not talking fridge freezer here) is set properly low, then they'll freeze quickly as only a few bags are going in at intervals rather than a lot of bags at one time which will drop the freezer's temperature down and by the time it gets back up, the apples have started browning.

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 37 queries.