Pollinations - daft question?

• 9 Replies

wicked

Pollinations - daft question?
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:18 »
Ok, I'm expecting some ribbing here, but I'm gonna ask anyway  :blush:

My pumpkin flowers are all wrong... the female ones opened, but there were no male ones open at the time (and no bees around either), there are now some male ones ready (full of pollen), and some female flowers developing again.....

The question is:  Can I use my paintbrush on the male pollen, store it in an egg cup or something, until my female flowers are ready, and then hand pollinate?

I never realised the flowers only last a day or two before they start withering away!  :(
My thought process is NOT illogical...It's just a form of intellect so amazing it has yet to be appreciated by mainstream society ;)

Save the earth.....It's the only planet with chocolate ;-)

Springlands

Re: Pollinations - daft question?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:49 »
Not a daft question - I  have the same problem and look forward to the answers  :) :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:54 »
This might not be much consolation but as long as you don't tell anyone I can reveal that I have wondered the same thing!

I guess we've all experienced the problem at some stage, particularly with few plants of any one species; I don't think it's easy to preserve pollen in a domestic situation but I believe its viability can be preserved a bit longer by keeping it dry and in the fridge.

Definitely no guarantees, but when push comes to shove............................. :blush:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:57 »
Thanks DD - another crazy question. Has anyone ever had a plant which only produced male flowers. I have three courgettes and one of these has only produced males flowers so far. Dread the answers to this  ;) ;)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:02 »
pollen should stay viable for a while (depending on species and method of storage). some tree pollens can stay viable for years out in the wild. I would, on balance, say that you could store it in a dry container in the fridge for a least a week, possibly a lot longer longer. No harm trying - you have nothing to loose  :) Let us know how you get on - I am interested in the results.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 12:42 »
Thanks DD - another crazy question. Has anyone ever had a plant which only produced male flowers. I have three courgettes and one of these has only produced males flowers so far. Dread the answers to this  ;) ;)

They often start off this way but usually sort them selves out and  fruit as normal :)

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 12:47 »

They often start off this way but usually sort them selves out and  fruit as normal :)

Just have to try to maintain the gardeners patient waiting again!! Thank you  :)

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 18:27 »
I think that a lot of the courgettes and squashes and similar related veg dont need pollination. May sound mad I know, and I dont know how it works. However I read somewhere when you get loads of male flowers and not many females, just pinch out all the males. Once you start doing it the females get the idea and produce  loads and you dont have to carry on doing .

A couple of years ago I had an early crop of broad beans in the polytunnel before any bees were out for the year, also a row of peas put under insect netting to stop the pesky maggot had plenty of flowers which all produced peas.

So my only suggestion is they are bred somehow not to need pollination!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 18:32 »
Peas are self pollinating..........every flower is pollinated by itself...clever stuff.........french beans are the same but runners need pollinating.........it's a weird old game ;)

Sorry, but courgettes and squash deffinitely do need pollinating though. Sometimes the plants start with all male flowers but they usually settle down and produce both in time.

wink
Daft question of the day...

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 10:22
by Goldfinger
xx
Daft Question 102

Started by nitiram on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2006, 23:51
by John
xx
This may be a daft question but.......

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2008, 11:09
by garddwr
xx
Daft Pea Question

Started by tam on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 22:05
by DD.

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 30 queries.