french beans

• 22 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: french beans
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 00:53 »
Yorkie...can you tell me why it's necessary to blanch before freezing? Is it to kill bugs or soften the pods?
What effect will NOT blanching have?

"To blanch or not to blanch?" that is the question!!  :lol:

We froze some FB quite by accident as Mrs L put a big bag full at the back of the larder fridge that has been turned up high for the summer. Result was = frozen beans by accidentally!!! :ohmy:

Although they were only frozen solid for a day or two the taste was not impaired and the colour as good as when they were picked. (We have turned the dial down in the fridge!!)  ::)

So.... to blanch or not to blanch?  (Mind you the answer may well already be on here somewhere..... Perhaps I should have searched first before mentioning it?)  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 07:26 »
i grew climbing french beans in the greenhouse for the first time and they are amazing.

I did that one year and the amount of growth, and getting amongst them to pick, was an annoyance, so we've grown Dwarf French Beans in the greenhouse since (spring and autumn) and Climbing French Beans outside.  Self pollinating (compared to Runner Beans) so I think a good choice for greenhouse.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 09:11 »
Why blanch?
From the Site's Storing the Surplus page:
Blanching destroys certain enzymes and bacteria whilst helping to preserve the colour, texture and flavour of the food. It also helps retain vitamin C.

Food can be frozen for a few weeks without blanching, but if you want longer storage then you should blanch  :)

Livinhope

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 12:28 »
Blanching kills the bacteria.  I bring the water to the boil bung the beans in, bring back to the boil, strain and dunk in cold water then open freeze so they don't all stick together.

I didn't realise dwarf beans could be regenerated, I thought once they stopped that was it but must have a go at that.  If it doesn't work we have another lot coming on.

r2d2

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 14:55 »
sorry to regenerate this thread but my beans seem to have stopped producing, is there anything i can do or is this normal?

cheers

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 15:10 »
 think that I remember reading (most likely in this thread) that french beans do sometimes stop producing but may start again later...

Probably keeping them well picked and watered will help to encourage them.  ;)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 15:18 »
      So.... to blanch or not to blanch?  (Mind you the answer may well already be on here somewhere..... Perhaps I should have searched first before mentioning it?)  :unsure:

I never blanch anything and they freeze fine and taste fine defrosted, never had anything go off or poison me. If there's any bacteria on there it's not likely they'll survive being boiled alive when I cook them. What always strikes me as a bit illogical is that veg need to be blanched before freezing, but not fruit.

Livinhope

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 16:51 »
Sorry, but all the books and experts recommend blanching before freezing.  Each to his own.

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg

Page created in 1.075 seconds with 38 queries.