Few questions from a newbe

• 8 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Few questions from a newbe
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:05 »
Hi all,
I've been a home vegetable grower for the past six months (so pretty new to all this!) i'm lucky enough to have a garden big enough to have a couple of small raised beds (1mx2m x2) and i've managed to grow some things with relativly good success. 

I'm now first on the list for an allotment and probably expect to have one for next year.  I want to get my planning and an idea of costs sorted so if any of you lovely people could answer a few questions it would be great!

Brassicas.  My brassicas at home (cabbages, swede, kale and calibresse) have had to fight off attacks from root fly, catipillars and flea beetle oh and wood pigeons!  They are now covered in a fairly open mesh to protect against the birds and butterflys.  I used nematodes to control the root fly.  I want to have a brassica bed in my allotment- would you recomend mesh or fleece?  And what size mesh (the holes)? I think I bought some enviromesh but I didn't like the way water sat on top of it.  It seemed to make the plant area quite humid?  How do you protect against clubroot? 

Carrots.  At home my carrots have been brilliant.  No mesh needed or anything.  What is the liklehood of getting root fly on an allotment?  Should I think of meshing these to?

Fruit bushes- do you have to protect against birds?  Is it best to create a cage for them?

Hmmm anyother thoughts?  Any tips on which varieties seem to be the hardy and good producers?  I really like the real seed catalouge but are there any other seed producers you recommend?

Oh and watering... How often do you water at your plot?  (assuming you can get to a tap!)

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post- so many questions!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Few questions from a newbe
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 10:40 »
I don't have an allotment so can't really advise you at all :unsure:
For seeds I really like Dobies.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:51 »
hiya, a couple of answers:

carrots - yes, very likely to get them on an allotment as others are growing them and have been for years. lots of solutions to the problem have been offered but the theme is build a barrier from ground to at least 1 mtr high to keep the carrot fly off.

fruit bushes - yes, I would advise some sort of cage

watering depends entirely on the weather and the needs of each crop. I find watering in the evening to be best as the water soaks in during the night instead of evaporating away.

I've always bought my seeds from whoever is cheapest  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:17 »
Hi- a couple more answers.

I just use ordinary netting on my brassicas.  Some brassicas like purple sprouting get quite tall so you have to allow for this when putting canes or posts in.  It keeps the pigeons away and they are the worst problem.  The odd cabbage white sometimes find a way in but there is not too much damage.  Weeding is a hassle as I have to get on my hands and knees and crawl around to do a proper job. 

Club root - I cut 3 or 4 inch squares of carpet underlay, cut into one side and cut a small hole in the middle and pop it round the stem of the plant when it goes in.  The growing plant does push it off eventually but I've never had a problem with club root so I think it works.

I did have carrot fly damage with my first crop so I draped some fleece over the next crop and it seemed to work.  Also, seeds sown a bit later, in July, seem less prone to attack.  Growing in a raised bed also helps as the flies reputedly only fly just above the ground - not sure about this one though.

Watering - It depends how much organic matter you dig into your soil.  The chap on the plot next to me says he never waters except when sowing seed, but he mulches a lot and I think that is the secret.  I've only had my plot three years and I don't think I have got it in the state where it can cope without watering.  Luckily I have a tap right on my plot!  I have watered most stuff in the dry weather earlier this summer, but especially the beans and the squash.  With the squash I cut the tops of water bottles and sink them in the soil, then water into the bottles.  When the plants get enormous, it can be difficult to find a space to water near the roots, so having the bottle there is a great help.

Fruit - I don't have room to grow fruit on my tiny plot :( but people around me certainly net theirs.  The pigeons are a real menace on our site. 

Seed suppliers - I like Seeds of Distinction and also D T Brown - the latter don't charge for postage which is great if you just want the odd packet.  Also, have you thought about joining your local horticultural society?  Membership of ours means you get into the Flower Shows free and you also get huge discounts on seeds (up to 40%)and sundries from Suttons and Mr Fothergill if you order through the club secretary.  It more than covers the cost of membership.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:24 »
brassicas, make collars to fit around the stems of your brassicas....this stops root fly laying their eggs near you plants.

The netting to stop butterflies has to be 7mm or less.

If you haven't got clubroot already on your plot, never buy or accept from other plot holders, any plants that have been grown in soil, as the disease may be in their soil.
(Of course plants grown in bought compost is ok.)

Best to use your environmesh to completely cover your carrots :)

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 15:03 »
Thanks for all the info so far everyone!  Looks like I'm going to be doing some construction work once I get my plot!

Cage for fruit, mesh for brassicas and enviro mesh for carrots :)

I'm still a bit scared of club root though... ekkk will def. be getting some carpet underlay off-cuts!

I guess like anything it's just seeing what will do best :)

paintedlady

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 15:19 »

I'm still a bit scared of club root though... ekkk will def. be getting some carpet underlay off-cuts!

:wub: sorry to have to say this, but carpet underlay is not going to make the blindest bit of difference - it is a disease present in the soil.  What you actually need to do is increase the pH - clubroot is a slime mould which prefers acidic soil.  Lime is the key - even if there is clubroot present on the plot (highly likely on well establishment allotment plots due to ignorance or bad gardening practices of previous tenants) - dig in lime before you plant out the brassicas, add it to the planting hole, and even use lime to weigh down a collar (to prevent root fly) so that it washes in  ;)

EDIT:  meant to add that if clubroot is present in the soil, it is not the end of the world - as mentioned, raising the pH of the soil is usually enough to still harvest a good crop with no problems, and there are also some clubroot resistant varieties available, although some tend to be F1 varieties so you can't save seed, and I've seen a few that have been horrendously expensive!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 15:23 by paintedlady »
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

crh75

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 16:27 »
For most fruit you only need to cover when the fruit is close to ripe until you harvest. It is much easier to put netting over just for the month or so that it is needed. Also, I think that smaller birds then get in and eat the insects hiding in there so you get less pest problems (this might just be wishfull thinking rather than scientific fact!).

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 17:22 »

:wub: sorry to have to say this, but carpet underlay is not going to make the blindest bit of difference - it is a disease present in the soil.  What you actually need to do is increase the pH - clubroot is a slime mould which prefers acidic soil.  Lime is the key - even if there is clubroot present on the plot (highly likely on well establishment allotment plots due to ignorance or bad gardening practices of previous tenants) - dig in lime before you plant out the brassicas, add it to the planting hole, and even use lime to weigh down a collar (to prevent root fly) so that it washes in  ;)

Sorry - Painted Lady is absolutely right - I had a senior moment there - the collars are to protect against root fly.   I do add  lime to the soil as well (see http://www.allotment-garden.org/fertilizer/garden-lime.php ) although our local soil tends to be pH neutral to alkaline anyway.

xx
newbe!!!

Started by cagiva1983 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 13:05
by lucywil
xx
newbe from oxfordshire

Started by chrissy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 22:16
by chrissy
xx
Newbe Potato Question

Started by Max4 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 01, 2015, 18:26
by Max4
xx
A few questions

Started by welsh boyo on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 05, 2008, 12:23
by gobs

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 38 queries.