Does Size Matter?

• 25 Replies

AndyP

• Flickr Album
Does Size Matter?
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:01 »
Having got my new plot on Sunday. I was wondering how big other peoples allotment plots are? Mine is a 3/4 plot which is good because I only have to pay 3/4 ground rent and it's less weeds to clear! However I was wondering if the size might limit me in the future.

My plot is 8m wide by 20m long. How big is yours?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31477732@N00/sets/72157624469279649/
Someone has been dumping soil on my allotment at night. I don't know who it is. The plot thickens.

PennyS

• My website
Re: Does Size Matter?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:19 »
Mine's 16m x 8m which on our site is a double. 

I think that's fairly small compared to many allotment sites.

I'm finding it just about the right size.  Yes I could use more space but it's not over-daunting, especially as I had to dig it all from grazing land.

I guess it boils down to how much time you have, how many people you're planning to feed and what sort of crops you want to grow.

Good luck with your allotment Andy, have fun.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

littlefarmer

• Growing Vegetables and Farming
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:32 »
It's not the size - it's what you do with it that counts  ;)

I'm currently only growing in my little back garden. Contemplating if I should take on something bigger as my mum has a plot she doesn't want to keep up any more. It's about 25m x 6m (it's in her back garden).

The thing is though that my little garden containers take up enough time as it is. I really would love something bigger but I need to know that I'm going to commit to it. So I'm starting off small and then perhaps go bigger towards the end of the year.
I might be talking rubbish!

harry

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:37 »
My plot is 17x9 which is considered a half plot on our site. I am finding it a bit small now. :wacko:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

savbo

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:57 »
we started Feb 2009 with a 3m x 33m half plot which was great but within the year we wanted some space for permanent crops...we were amazingly lucky to be offered a 10 x 28m full plot, so we gave up the half plot and the new plot is just about manageable and is going to give us all the produce we could want...

M

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 13:22 »
Must measure our plot :( but it's considered a half plot on our site).  For just myself and grownup daughter it's about right (I suppose it's about 7m by 11m ish).  We do quite a lot of successive planting of lettuce, radish, carrots, french beans, peas, etc., and it does seems to make the plot bigger because of that, of course it means we will have to give back a lot to keep the ground good.  Being a pensioner :tongue2: I do get it at a reduced rent and I think in this our first year I have already recouped that.

Totty

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 13:27 »
All the plots on our brand new site are 5m x 16m. This sounds small in comparison with many on here and im sure we could manage something substantially bigger, but even so, i am able to provide something for the table every day. Eggs and all!

Totty

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 13:34 »
Our plot is 28 x 9m. I have 9ms at one end that is planted with fruit trees and bushes and strawberry and some raised beds at the top end. Whats left is for the veg and certainly keeps me occupied  :happy:

Livinhope

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 13:40 »
I don't think size does matter too much.  Surely it's the satisfaction and interest the plot provides, plus the produce.  It also keeps some on here out of mischief ::) ::) ::)

Bara Brith

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 14:43 »
Mine's 8m by 30m - enormous!!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 14:45 »
10m x 30m and Mrs Digger's is bigger than mine!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 16:31 »
mine is 30 x 15. When I started, I thought that was plenty, but now... :unsure:
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 18:31 »
A standard allotment size is 300 sq metres. That was supposed to be big enough to keep a family self sufficient in vegetable throughout the year. A lot of the old council allotments are that size.

My observation is that many plots of that size seem to have a large area taken up with chickens/sheds/storage areas/paths and a fair amount is occupied by fruit.

A small plot often produces just as much as bigger ones. There has to be more double cropping and closer spacing. Cropping has to be targeted at high value or luxury crops. Low value crops such as maincrop potatoes and some brassicas are done without.

RichardA

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 18:35 »
The right size is the size you can enjoy and feel you have made the best of. I have an acre at home and perhaps regretably I am not in an alottment as such. Now I am on top of things an acre is about right but when I was struggling it felt like a millstone but now with ducks, fruit trees etc polytunnel I woudl not have anything less. Enjoy what you have, if it is right for you take on more but enjoy every square metre and every season.
Size is not everything.
R

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 18:39 »
mine is 11m x 7m approx a quarter plot, I would like more room to grow more fruit, but really don't have the space :(

xx
Does size matter?

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 23:48
by Elaine G
xx
Does size matter ?

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 15:49
by Aitch
xx
does size matter sprouts that is?

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 20, 2013, 09:49
by BabbyAnn
xx
What size to make a plot ? What size are your allotments ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 20:50
by Minty

Page created in 0.887 seconds with 30 queries.