25p................... for Christmas seed spuds

• 37 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: 25p................... for Christmas seed spuds
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 16:29 »
as I've said on a previous thread................I kept some of my excess 1st earlies hidden at the back of the fridge ::)..............they look really shrunk and wrinkly, but the tiny white chits quickly turned green when put in the light.
I've planted them in a tub today and will let you know what happens...fingers crossed  :lol:

Aisling

• aka The Fig Lady!
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 18:52 »
Hi, for anyone in Cardiff who is still looking for seed potatoes (second-cropping) to plant for Christmas - Blooms in St Mellons, Cardiff, have plenty for sale! I've just bought a pack of 12 Carlingford for £3.99 - much cheaper than online prices! They also have Charlotte, Maris Peer, Nicola and Vivaldi.
It'll be my first time to try this - planning to do it at home rather than on the plot so I can take them undercover when the cold weather sets in. Think I'll also replant some Red Duke of York (First Earlies) which I have almost finished harvesting from my plastic bags - by way of a little trial.  :D

To err is human, to grow...DEVINE!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 20:11 »
The advice for re-using spuds harvested this year is that you need to leave 60 days between harvest and re-sowing, Aisling, so you may have left it too late this year to benefit properly.

If you've got loads to use up, it's worth a try, but if you're not over-run with spuds then probably best to eat them.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 20:31 »
Popped into a well known garden centre today (rhymes with nobbies) and spotted that they too were selling seed potatos at 25p a pop. I went to my local independant garden centre last week and they were selling 1kg for £2.30 so I got 2 different varieties for £4.60 making it about 15p per potato. It just goes to show that the places that can afford to buy in bulk want to be greedy and make more profit. Cheeky *!

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 20:38 »
I dont think i should spred this around but i bought some "potato growing kits" a couple of weeks ago. consisting of sacks, grow bags  tatters and fertiliser, very cheap as they were past there sell by date, i only wanted the sacks but when they arrived i thought what the heck i stuck them in the grow bags and away they went. it may be a little early and someone might tell me this wont work but if it does they were for nothing. Now dont go pinching my idea :D     

Coop-a-Cabana

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 21:53 »
I was looking on well known suppliers websites for Christmas spuds but was amazed at how much they costs so didn't bother ordering was very pleased i didn't cos today from a local garden centre I got 8 Maris Peer seed pots for £1.63 :D was very pleased but just wondering do i put them in now going to use bags and containers so can lift them into tunnel when the weather turns!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 21:56 »
Van Meuwen have an online offer of five each Charlotte, Jullette & Maris Peer, all for second cropping  :D

PS There is £3.95 p&p but if you can't get to any stores mentioned it is worth considering perhaps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

harry

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 08:38 »
I've just received mine from Dobies 2kg Carlingford and Bambino @ £8.95 each plus p&p but i also bought winter onions and some seeds french beans and peas. When Iput the winter spuds in should i cover them with cloches. :wub:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 23:32 »
I've just received mine from Dobies 2kg Carlingford and Bambino @ £8.95 each plus p&p but i also bought winter onions and some seeds french beans and peas. When Iput the winter spuds in should i cover them with cloches. :wub:

You should have taken advantage of this offer:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1011/late-crop-potatoes-offer/
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Christine

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 07:41 »
Them's all big offers for someone who just wants to see how she goes on in the farther north on the edge of the known world where frost could be a hazard. I wanted to try three spuds not three kilos in the end.  ::)

harry

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 08:51 »

You should have taken advantage of this offer:
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1011/late-crop-potatoes-offer/

I'd already ordered them before I saw that offer unfortunately John >:( :( :mad:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 09:12 »
May just be me, but I think it's a lot of money to be throwing at something that needs a careful eye keeping on it and has such variable and often very unsatisfactory results. You can buy a lot of taters for 8 quid.

It's not as though you get a huge crop even if the results are good.

I can wait a few months and put up with roast and mash for Christmas. I may try next year, but only by saving some of my early crop. My cash stays in my back pocket!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:31 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 09:37 »
You can often get away without buying in stock - it's a bit chancy but so is all growing really..

Second Crop Autumn Planted Potatoes for Christmas

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 09:51 »
I stored some in controlled conditions last year. (Found them at the back of the shed, actually).

Grew well.

Blight got them well as well!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 09:56 »
I can understand anyone wanting to try and "cheat" the British winter by having something like home-grown new potatoes for Christmas but since when have new potatoes been the traditional accompaniment to Christmas dinner?

I'll get by somehow on old potatoes roasted until golden and crispy in the Turkey, Chicken or goose fat!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Christmas day spuds

Started by boogaloo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 12:51
by boogaloo
xx
Spuds for Christmas

Started by arronc on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 23:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
New spuds for Christmas ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2006, 12:16
by wellingtons
xx
When to put Christmas spuds in?

Started by min200 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 11:18
by barbarella

Page created in 0.726 seconds with 38 queries.