Raised Beds - not always a good idea?

• 9 Replies

Griffo

Raised Beds - not always a good idea?
« on: July 24, 2010, 18:53 »
We live in Herefordshire, so red clay soil. My veg plot is a bit of level ground at the foot of a gentle slope, so a bit of a frost pocket.

For years I grew good crops but then we had a succession of very wet winters a few years ago and several times my plot was flooded and I lost crops. So I did two things:-

1. I dug a 6" deep trench along the top edge (foot of slope), down one side and out the bottom, where the ground slopes away again.

2. I created a series of raised beds.

Since then, I no longer get water-logged ground but ...  I seem to be forever watering and I cannot grow good carrots or any beetroot.

It seems to me that raised beds are only really viable when the sub-soil is really bad, otherwise you lose a lot of natures natural moisture and create a significant watering task.

Thoughts?

daisy1990

Re: Raised Beds - not always a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 19:00 »
All my veg are in raised beds and you are correct that they do need more watering, however you can plant closer together which means more crops and less weeding.  They are also much easer to dig over so to me the advantages outweigh the pitfalls.  I have found the shorter varieties of carrots do better
Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 19:19 »
It does sound as if you only needed to improve the drainage, rather than have raised beds as well.

The soil in my garden was not good, so I made raised beds and filled with compost and multipurp dug in, and had the same problems as you. This year i took out the wood surrounds and levelled the beds. This has meant less drying out, although it has been another dry year here.

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 22:01 »
Griffo,
I had a similar problem.
One end of my patch is at the bottom of a slope that rises gently for almost half a mile.
I had problems growing anything there because, after even a short period of rain, the ground got waterlogged.

My solution was to build raised beds.
I constructed beds, each 8'x4' and 1' high, from decking boards, with narrow paths in between.
I filled the beds with a mixture of compost (60%) and topsoil (40%).
I grew excellent crops of onions, shallots, beetroot and turnips.
Now, in the second year, I have had similar good results with the same crops rotated.

I know that the raised beds are the solution to what would have been an ongoing water-logging problem because an adjacent area of lawn, also at the bottom of the same slope, still suffers from the water run-off and becomes boggy.
The paths between the beds still get very wet after prolonged rainfall, but the beds sit above the water level so do not suffer.
Obviously, during the lengthy dry spell that we had (which now seems to have been 100 years ago to us in the NW) watering was necessary, but that is to be expected.

The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 22:14 »
Also, with raised beds the density of planting is much closer providing more shade for the soil.  But, they do need more water than the average plot which I find is a small price to pay for the problems they solve.
Cheese makes everything better.

zazen999

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 22:23 »
We have raised beds on thick clay; and don't water it at all apart from when the seedlings first go in. We mulch with sawdust profusely [it's free] and this eventually gets drawn in after the crop is harvested and helps to aerate the soil.

We did water my onions this year, after the really hot period as we had moved them due to aminopyralid; which was removed by DOW and thus we haven't even got manure to add in now.

We only really dig to get rid of weeds, and the clay below is really good at holding the moisture.

For beetroot, we sow into modules, plant into the clay and mulch. We get huge beetroots this way.

For carrots, we add a good amount of sand and fork it down, sow direct, mulch with sawdust and only weed twice [once when about 4 inches tall and once if any weeds really start to push the nets up].

We also mulch with coffee grounds if we can get any, and usually put them with onions as I find it spurs them on.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 22:25 »
Mine are 18" deep and although it was a real effort to fill them (soil/manure/compost) it was worth it!
I've been packing in the crops, I can access the beds easily, netting is easy and when the level sinks I fill up with the used tomato soil (same mix)
I've been watering pots and baskets manically but the beds have been fine with a good soak once a week.

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 22:40 »
I don't have raised beds, but my neighbour does, and you are correct, he waters his more often that we do.  Its because of the water table.  Because his are raised, when it rains it goes through the raised bed to the, for a better word, but not quite true, the bedrock.  When he digs his soil its mostly dry.  But when I dig mine, its damp at approximately 6" beneath the top.  But as most of you know, raised beds for some it works, for others its definitely needed because of the type of soil you have.
Babs

zazen999

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:03 »
I don't have raised beds, but my neighbour does, and you are correct, he waters his more often that we do.  Its because of the water table.  Because his are raised, when it rains it goes through the raised bed to the, for a better word, but not quite true, the bedrock.  When he digs his soil its mostly dry.  But when I dig mine, its damp at approximately 6" beneath the top.  But as most of you know, raised beds for some it works, for others its definitely needed because of the type of soil you have.

That's really interesting; I never water at the lottie; but each and every one of my lottie chums does; and we are the only ones with raised beds. The difference is that they have access to water through wells, and hoses - whereas we don't [we only have the water butts]. If there IS no water you become savvy about not using it.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 12:38 »
I don't know whether my raised beds are raised, or not  :blink: Soil here is heavy clay.

I dug the paths out and put the soil on the beds.  The level of the beds is only very slightly raised, compared to before, but they are never walked on and do have the characteristics of raised beds.

I water pretty much everything once a week (has been twice this year as we have had less than 2" of rain in the last 3 months) - but I think I would do that anyway - an average year for us is only 1" - 2" of rain a month

Getting the humus up must reduce the need for watering? as would a good mulch?

My beds are in their third year (from what was an area of rough grass) and the vigour of the plants is like night and day compared to the first year, and I can't claim that they are well fed / pampered - even the manure they have had is only an inch or so mulch in the Autumn, so not really "lashings and lashings" - the soil structure is greatly improved, probably as much from been "loose" and not compacted for three years.

I have been thinking about whether I would use weed control fabric (or cardboard or something else) for some crops - to provide some drought prevention.  For example, I grow the same number of Sweet Peas plants each year, could easily reuse the same weed-membrane from year-to-year (if I labelled it "Sweet Peas" when I took it up in the Autumn - that would require an interesting improvement in my organisational skills!) Maybe Cardboard would be better  :closedeyes:

xx
Good mulch for raised beds

Started by Earthy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 21:51
by Bombers
xx
Good or bad idea ?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 09:33
by cAnAry53
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Top soil - feasable idea for raising beds?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 09:02
by lincspoacher

Page created in 0.503 seconds with 38 queries.