How are your leek biro-refills/pencils doing now?

• 25 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
How are your leek biro-refills/pencils doing now?
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:13 »
We almost had a "most pathetic leek seedling" competition going on here in early June, with a certain amount of hilarity about grass-like leeks, biro-refill versus pencil thickness etc.!

Just wondered who is still a little underwhelmed, who is now quietly confident, and who is claiming bragging rights so far (  :tongue2: ).

Mine seem to be doing OK, but having never grown them before I don't really know what to expect for this time of year.

The pic shows some of mine in the foreground; some are about 3 to a hole, some were planted individually; definitely better than pencil-sized but definitely not popeye's forearm either!

(The sweetcorn in the background are now flowering. Fingers crossed, they seem OK but there is more variation in size than last year and overall they are shorter too.)
STA70002.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

PennyS

• My website
Re: How are your leek biro-refills/pencils doing now?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:35 »
Mine are nothing like that - I only dibbed the bulk of them out last weekend!  

Most of them are really twiggy (yet to attain "Pencil" status) but I'm sure they will all catch up.

I dibbed a few the weekend before and those are already doing really well and already look far bigger, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

(Does that mean I can now claim the "most pathetic leek" prize?)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:37 by PennyS »
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

bigben

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:49 »
Mine went in as biro refills but have now started to fill out and I am fairly pleased with them. I still have a few left in the tray that I did not have room to plant, and they dont seem to have progressed anywhere near as much as those I planted into the soil.  I think next year I might plant in a deeper tray as the lack of initial progress might be related to the lack of goodness in the B&Q compost I used.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:54 »
All I can say is......yours are better than mine  :D despite the watering, mine are still struggling :(

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:05 »

Yours are looking great JayG, mine are still skinny little things, standing up straight tho, so all is not lost  :D

mobilekat

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 12:11 »
I had cheated a little a bought a tray of baby leeks- as wasnt going to grow them and then tray was reduced- some are going great guns, others I think have shrunk.

This year has been interesting for me as am really seeing which bits of the garden need tonnes of manure added!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Re: How are your leek Biro-refills/pencils doing now?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 12:21 »
Planted mine a couple of weeks ago in the spaces where my main crop spuds (Lady Balfour) did not show.  They are about Biro size now.  Never known spuds to fail, about 50% did not show, they were chitted OK.  Out of post I know - anybody got any clues.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:25 »
mine are about as thick as my little finger and are being planted out this weekend. A little later than I intended cos life keeps getting in the way  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 12:37 »
leeks filling out nicely finally, after a slower than usual start, and have already harvested the young leeks from the 2nd bed of of leeks (a bed I planted solely to have them while young - the main bed will be left until they are "mature" later this year)

Some cobs forming on one variety of sweetcorn. Cannot wait for them to be ready as I adore sweetcorn.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

goodegg

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 13:16 »
my leeks thats the both of them are doing ok ive planted some more but they are like pencil leads dont know if they will get to much thought of growing some in the green house like to know if any one has do this and were they any good,thanks

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 13:40 »
Leeks doing OK, much the same size as yours by the lok of it :), just not enough of them!
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 13:57 »
Mine look like yours, JayG, about as thick as my thumb (trying to find a reference here - I'm female if that makes a difference), not quite as thick as a stick of rock (do they still make that?!). Some of them are fatter than the ones I picked last season, so I'm dead chuffed.

In fact, I'm so pleased I'm going to try DD's method on other members of the allium family.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 14:10 »
.........talking of DD, I was expecting him to have come on here by now and blown us all away in the space of a single picture of his own leeks!   ::)

Glad mine are somewhere round about average; average is good for a first try (hope it's not beginner's luck!)  :unsure:

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 15:34 »
Mine have gone from biro thickness to perminent marker thickness lol  :D

madcat

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 16:54 »
I'm pleasantly surprised that mine have got to biro size....  at one stage I really thought they were never going anywhere.  But I think that they will eventually do okay. :)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
Annabelle spuds and biro refills...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2017, 20:54
by JimB
xx
Pencils and darning needles!

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 04, 2022, 12:14
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
leek fly

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 06, 2007, 12:57
by WG.

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 30 queries.