Green Water in Pond

• 11 Replies

Gardener Girl

• Experienced Member
Green Water in Pond
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:33 »
The water in my pond is green, it is a large pond with a fountain and lots of goldfish in it which seem perfectly happy.

What can I use to stop the water going green that won't harm the fish?

Many thanks

GG
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:00 by JayG »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Geen Water in Pond
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:00 »
It's very hard to stop the water going green in high summer without resorting to UV filtration or chemicals; usually I would recommend growing water lilies to reduce the amount of light reaching the water but they don't like being continuously sprayed with water from a fountain.

Growing plenty of oxygenating plants like Elodea or Hornwort will help out-compete the green algae but probably won't "win" the battle completely if the pond is in an open, sunny spot.

The good news is that green water indicates that the water is healthy (albeit a bit high in nutrients) and goldfish don't seem to mind it one bit!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

8doubles

Re: Green Water in Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:15 »
There used to be a product called Aquacurel E (sp?) but anything you use will only be a temporary fix.
The fish convert all the food you give them into fishy fertiliser which the algae thrive on so if you do not have lots of other weed using the nutrients you get green water.
A bag of barley straw may do the trick but a filter system with Ultra Violet lamps is a better option.

Masses of oxgenating weed is best as it cleans the water for the fish but you rarely get to see the fish. :D

Also when feeding the fish go for too little rather than too much as they will eat algae if hungry.

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32 »
I have used the barley straw bricks in the past with moderate success, even made my own from old carrot bags from a large bag I'd got for horse, a mate let me use their straw foc.

The Canadian weed needs to be avoided as its rampant once it gets aclimatised and will take over the pond, choking it. Lilies are good, but in all honesty green water at high temp days is inevitable, my own horses bath of water turns green in a couple of days in this weather. Just keep taking out the filter on the pump and washing it out in clear water, when it rains the green will sink, and then almost disappear come autumn into winter.

Sorry I'm not much help, but thats part of the joy of having a healthy pond, without chemicals or expensive UV systems.

Oh, hang on....the UV thing can be achieved by making a rhyll, a small pond above the original with a shute between them letting the light do the UV bit naturally....thats how we did it!  ;)

evie2

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 15:06 »
We have a plant in our ponds like a tiny clover and we never get green algae but our ponds a natural wild ones.  It's one of those plants that you only need to put in once and every summer it comes back.  If you'd like to try it let me know and I'll send some :) Grace
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 15:20 »
Do you mean duckweed ? I would not introduce duckweed to any pond as it can be a major problem in itself. The only time you will see any water is if the wind blows it all up one end.

As you say once you have duckweed you have it for life.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 15:27 »
Unless your pond is actually a lake it is quite easy to control Canadian pondweed (or any other pondweed for that matter). You just grab hold of it and pull; you can even compost it after leaving it for a while to let any creepy-crawlies get back into the water.

It's a good thing to do because of course you are permanently removing the nutrients contained in the weed; if you don't they will be returned to the water when it decays to contribute to your algae problem again.

As for duckweed, believe it or not I have tried 3 times to introduce to my pond and failed on all 3 occasions! I can only assume the goldfish eat it!

evie2

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 16:15 »
Do you mean duckweed ? I would not introduce duckweed to any pond as it can be a major problem in itself. The only time you will see any water is if the wind blows it all up one end.
As you say once you have duckweed you have it for life.

No it's not duck weed, it lays on the top of the pond and is very easy to keep under control.

evie2

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 16:25 »
 ???Sorry don't know what happened there.

No, it's not duck weed, it lays on top of the water and is very easy to keep under control and the 'extra' goes on the compost  :)  I also have had no luck with pond weed that's why I introduced this plant when the algae took over one year.

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 16:55 »
???Sorry don't know what happened there.

No, it's not duck weed, it lays on top of the water and is very easy to keep under control and the 'extra' goes on the compost  :)  I also have had no luck with pond weed that's why I introduced this plant when the algae took over one year.

Duckweed floats on top forming a green carpet ,  little leaves and a dangly root shown here,
http://www.clean-flo.com/weed-algae-identification/duckweed/

fatcat1955

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 17:01 »
I think it is water hyancinth.

evie2

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 17:25 »
Yep it's duck weed.  The one that died was long, green and under water

xx
HELP, pond pump drained my pond

Started by Clarky86 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2019, 08:04
by JayG
xx
Using burn water to water vegetables

Started by Marketa on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 12, 2020, 14:24
by grinling
xx
my pond

Started by new_2_veg on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 21:15
by new_2_veg
clip
A pond

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2024, 09:33
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 38 queries.