Late Veg for the Greenhouse

• 12 Replies

Bizzi Lizzi

Late Veg for the Greenhouse
« on: July 19, 2010, 23:54 »
Any ideas as to what I still have time to grow in my greenhouse this summer/autumn.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Late Veg for the Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12 »
I put some Dwarf French Beans and Chinese Cabbage in mine for an Autumn crop, and then Winter Gem lettuce for the .... ermmm ... Winter!, and Kohl rabi and Chard for the early spring

And some tubs of potatoes for Christmas (well, they are chitting, will be planted in mid August and won't go into the greenhouse until the weather cools)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:30 »
corn salad and late lettuce the same as Kristen plus chicory and radicchio for bitter greens.
I sow winter hardy spring onions to make sure I have some in spring...and last year I grew leaf celery(Parcel) which was very good in soups and stews as well as in salad :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 09:06 »
corn salad

Learn something every day, as they say. So pardon my ignorance, but what's that then?

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:20 »
courgettes, dwarf beans and any sort of salad stuff or herbs incl basil etc. If you have toms growing now take the side shoots as cuttings and grow a few later toms. Might get a quick row of mange tout in. onions as well.
Not sure I have seen a lot of advice about greenhouses in autumn or winter but polytunnel gardeners get a lot of beneft by late cropping - worth a quick google for articles on late crops in polytunnels.
Once it gets  cooler autumn and spring cabbage will do OK as will potatoes if you have room.
R

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 09:29 »
Bizzi Lizzi - if you are relatively new to growing veggies I would suggest that you get a couple of good books. Not the big colourful coffee table books but good how to ones. I would recommend Grow your own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom - I have had this book for may years and go back to it again and again. Would also recommend Vegetable Growing Month by Month (John Harrison's book) - got this recently and have found very useful.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:46 »
I've got both Joy and John's books, and would recommend both, but the first book I recommend is always "The Vegetable and Herb Expert" by Dr D.G. Hessayon - definitely the book I refer to most often. (All the ones I've seen in his "Expert" series are good)

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 09:48 »
Hi Kirsten - would also agree that the "expert" books are good - especially on pests and diseases.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:55 »
Thank all for the really good suggestions.  Will sit and contemplate some more on this subject.

I'm not new to gardening at all, been cultivating this garden for forty years but haven't been doing much veg growing personally, that was left to my Nan and Mum, I was in charge of shrubs and flag laying.  I've taken up the gauntlet in a much bigger way, veg wise, for the last two years and it's become addictive as you will all know.

Have got some more lettuce on it's way and my tomatoes are fruiting nicely but not ripening yet but I'm hopeful of a good crop this year again.

As for the books, yes I have several of the suggested ones and loads more but personal recommendations always help I think. 

Thanks again, and will let you know what I decide to grow.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 11:14 »
corn salad

Learn something every day, as they say. So pardon my ignorance, but what's that then?

It's the little sprigs of dark green leaves that you get in winter in a bag of mixed salad

look here

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 12:36 »
I've got both Joy and John's books, and would recommend both, but the first book I recommend is always "The Vegetable and Herb Expert" by Dr D.G. Hessayon - definitely the book I refer to most often. (All the ones I've seen in his "Expert" series are good)

yes of the many books I have purchased over the years, Hessayon's books are definitive for me: very informative, not waffly, easy to dip into, and very well written indeed. Other books are fine for a different slant on things but for me none come remotely close to Hessayon.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 12:52 »
corn salad

It's the little sprigs of dark green leaves that you get in winter in a bag of mixed salad

look here

Well I never! And I thought I had every seed in the shop in my shoebox!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 12:54 »
 :lol: you too eh  :nowink:

xx
Too late to sow greenhouse tomatoes?

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 11:43
by Pony Girl
xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 30 queries.