Potatoe question

• 7 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Potatoe question
« on: July 18, 2010, 19:21 »
Hi all

We dug up our potatoes today, this is the first crop of potatoes i have grown and whilst they were really tasty we didnt get very many.  I have just planted some more for Christmas spuds but after the poor yeild i'm not too happy about paying almost £10 for the seed potatoes.

Can i plant regular shop bought potatoes next year?, i realise they will not be desease ressistant but i cant justify spending that much money for a few potatoes.

Would i be better off keeping some of the ones i dug up today to plant next season, if so how can i store them until i am able to plant them?

Thanks for any help

Emma

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Potatoe question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 19:28 »
why don't you get your seed from somewhere like Wilkinsons they are a lot cheaper than the major suppliers.
I got 10 Pentland Javelin from the Poundshop, so you really don't have to pay a lot for proper seeds.

It's not advisable to plant supermarket spuds cos you don't know if they are carrying disease, or what they have been sprayed with. As for saving seed do you really want to propagate potatoes that you have been unhappy with this year? wouldn't you be better off trying another variety which may perform better in your soil :)

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 19:30 »
Emma, you don`t say what potatoes you grew. Were they earlies or lates? When did you plant them? And why pay £10 for seed potaoes? :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 19:31 »
There's lots of reasons that could point to poor yield, so I wouldn't worry about the seed spuds just yet.

How did you feed/water/weed them? Did you wait until they were ready to pick?

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 02:16 »
You haven't given us much of a clue to what the problem might be.
You haven't said what the potato variety was that you planted, nor when you planted it, or in what conditions your crop was grown.

You go on to say that you have planted spuds for Christmas.
What have you planted and in what conditions?
In my opinion you have planted too early for Christmas spuds.

You also state that you have paid 'almost £10' for your seed spuds.
You haven't said what variety nor what quantity you have bought for that price.
Hopefully, you have certified stock and a large quantity for that amount of money.  :)

You ask "Can i plant regular shop bought potatoes next year?"
Yes, you can . . . . . . but you may not get a decent crop.
I find that good stock from reputable suppliers is cheaper than supermarket spuds and will produce better results.

You further asked "Would i be better off keeping some of the ones i dug up today to plant next season"
In my opinion the answer is 'NO'.
Buy seed potatoes from a reputable supplier and be more assured of a decent result.

You can cut corners as much as you want, and sometimes achieve decent results, but if you want to lessen the risks and improve your chances of getting a respectable yield than you should buy some proper seed potatoes.

It works for me.  ;)

The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12 »
Thanks for all your replys, i was really after finding out where to buy cheaper seed potatoes or using shop bought ones but if i can find out why i had a poor crop then that would be great.

The seed potatoes where planted into potatoe growing sacks on 25th March, i planted one bag with Swift one with Maris Piper and one with Charlotte.

The charlotte's were "dug up" a couple of weeks ago giving the poorest yeild then last weekend we dug up the other 2 sacks, the Marispiper produced the best crop.  The swift is the only one i have not used up yet so was able to weigh them, there is 1.2kg.  I would say the swift and the Charlotte produced about the same amount and the Maris Piper a bit more.

When planted i think there were 5 seed potatoes in each bag, it all came as a kit so when i topped up with soil i fed the plants with specific potatoe feed.

The potatoe plants were watered daily and put into a sunny spot.  I dont know if they were "ready" but according to the growing packet i waited the correct amount of time.

I bought my recent seed potatoes on-line after trawling my local Garden Centres - none of them supply "Christmas spuds" so i purchased online £4 for 1kg + £4 postage.  I have purchased Charlotte's.  Im not actually after spuds for Christmas day just wanted to use up the empty space productivly.

I have put these into the ground just because it was empty but kind of figured its not worth the money - if i'd have bought them from the £1 shop then that would be fine.  I guess im looking in the wrong places and having to pay more for the privilege.

Thanks for all your help

Em

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 09:24 »
Don't know if this sticky will help you source them:

Suppliers Of Loose Seed Potatoes
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 12:26 »
i am experimenting with mine. tried king edwards and although yield was good but insects or worms get in them and ruined most of the big ones so ended up with some small ones. this year trying Nadines and next year will try Cara.

xx
potatoe question

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 17:56
by Ice
xx
Potatoe Question...

Started by Durham-Lad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 22:36
by DD.
xx
Potatoe planting question!!

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2009, 19:33
by Iain@JBA
xx
silly potatoe question

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2014, 21:04
by casper

Page created in 0.6 seconds with 38 queries.