Rose softwood cuttings

• 3 Replies

rich24uk

• Experienced Member
Rose softwood cuttings
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:20 »
Hi All,

I'm after some advise from anyone that knows a bit about cutting from roses. At the moment I am using a small zip lock bag over the top of the pot to help keep moisture as has been advised on various sites.

I'm not sure at what point I can remove the bag without killing off the cutting? At present they have been in for about 3 weeks and there is new leaf growth on all of them. I've had a look at one of them for root growth and there seems to be a tiny amount starting on the stem but nothing really resembling a root at the moment.

Trillium

Re: Rose softwood cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 16:40 »
3 weeks is still early for roots to appear. The fact that it's putting out new leaves is a good sign. The bag should stay on for a while to keep the tops hydrated but the bags should never touch the leaves themselves (causes rotting). A few straws or sticks inserted into the pot corners will prop up the bag and an elastic band at the base will keep it on the pot.

Here are some more tips on rooting:

http://scvrs.homestead.com/Cuttings1.html

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 16:45 »
I took some softwood cuttings from a rambler rose and just dibbed them into some hormone rooting powder, then into a pot of compost. I don't think I put a bag on them, but they were in my greenhouse for a bit then went outside, where I promptly forgot about them! I got two good plants.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Spana

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 17:02 »
I've done them by just lining them up in a trench  with a bit of sand in the bottom,but  i do them a bit later than this.  Must confess tho that i dont get a very good  'take'.  Usually about 1in 6 .

xx
Growing hops from softwood cuttings

Started by GetOutCat on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 11:23
by weeeed
xx
Rose cuttings

Started by LilacSandy on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2013, 08:55
by LilacSandy
xx
Rose Cuttings

Started by Axe Victim on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 13:37
by chrissie B
xx
Can you use rose prunings as cuttings ?

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 20:48
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 28 queries.