Feather growth

• 9 Replies

joop

Feather growth
« on: July 17, 2010, 21:05 »
We have had four ex-battery chickens since May this year.  Three were just scruffy and was was quite plucked.  I'm just wondering how long it takes for feathers to grow back?
The plucked hen still has quite a bare neck and base of tail but one of the others is now looking a bit thinner on her chest, white patches.  I haven't noticed them quarrelling or pecking each other so I don't think it's that.
They are all very happy, we generally get three eggs every day.  They eat so much they put my old labrador to shame!

Any advice of things we should be looking out for would be much appreciated.

Great forum!

pigeonpie

Re: Feather growth
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 22:26 »
Hi Joop,
We re-homed 14 ex-batts last year in June.  Sadly over the months 3 have died but the others have flourished.  We're just waiting for Penny to finish regrowing her feathers and then we have a full bunch of feathery friends.  It's taken over a year but they've gone from being oven ready to beautiful girls. 
I guess the most important thing is to make sure that they don't have problems with red mite, lice, etc. and are being fed with a good quality food so that they can put all their energies in to growing new feathers. 
Oh, and enjoy them!  Mine went from being scared to come out of the house or run to running riot around the village on the odd time they have escaped from the garden.  They all come running when I call them and spend hours trying to work out how to get in patio doors.  I wouldn't swap them for the world.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:25 »
Hello I've had my rescue hens for 4 months now, they are still a little bald on their bellies and bums nut are looking a lot more healthy than they did!Do you feed them ex-batt feed?this is higher in protein than layers pellets, I do a 50/50 mix, their feathers look healthy. Mine are all cheeky and full of life enjoy! :)

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:19 »
Feathers will probably grow back around their natural moult time so it may be you have to wait 12 months. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joop

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 13:36 »
Thanks for your replies everyone, do all chickens moult at the same time?  Be nice for them if they're well feathered by winter!

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 14:54 »
I think strangely they like to moult in winter :wacko: They are boiling all summer then when they need their feathers off they come!!

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 10:01 »
From what I've read on here they usually moult in autumn. But ............. there are plenty of tales of bald chickens in the snow and in Spring. I suppose they moult when they are ready! :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 17:51 by Sassy »

pigeonpie

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 18:05 »
Most of mine have decided that summer seems like a good time to moult.  I'm thinking of saving the feathers to stuff a mattress with!

joop

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 23:41 »
Thanks again for the info...  I never realised quite how interesting these chickens would be!  Looks like i might have to get my knitting needles out and make some wooley jumpers for them!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 05:34 »
As they originate from the Jungle fowl in Asia most still moult around the time they would have done originally - sadly this tends to coincide with our Autumn and Winter.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
feather growth

Started by tommyb on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 22:54
by tommyb
question
feather growth

Started by peter o on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 18:08
by peter o
xx
feather re-growth after lice

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 11:17
by jo40
xx
Growth over eye.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 08:34
by SusieB

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 29 queries.