can i line the trenches of my veg patch in the greenhouse with black binliners?!

• 24 Replies

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
As the subject really?!!!

Springlands

Is there a particular reason that you want/need to do so - this may help with the answers

peapod

• Pea Goddess
I havent heard of that before myself - chicken wire for moles, but not bin bags in a GH bed. Is it for retaining moisture?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

8doubles

They will be a pain in the butt to dig out later, something thicker like a compost bag or rubble sack would be better.

I used the polythene bag from a new mattress for the runner bean trench which lasted two years. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 20:10 by 8doubles »

DavidT

Basically, no. May I ask why you are putting in a trench in the greenhouse? Soil needs to " breath", polythene will inhibit that function. :D

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
basically, i have a 'new' greenhouse, my garden is all clay, so where i have put it on the grass, other half has dug out a trench inside it to grow things, but because of the clay, i dont want it taking all the water and good ness from my plants. So something like a sack or rubble sack would work? and its a rented house and i dont want to spend the time making the soil all nice for me to move out and not be able to use it!
Does that make sense?!

8doubles

I use compost sacks to line trenches in the greenhouse poke the garden fork through a few time to get some drainage and fill with sharp sand . Into this go bottomless buckets full of compost for the tomato plants.

This system has worked well for years. :)

DavidT

As long as it`s not  "blue ", clay is the best soil you can have. It is jampacked with nutrients, so use it, not abuse it. :lol: :lol: :D

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
Thankyou!
does it hae to be sand?!
i wanted to this as cheap as possible, could i use something else, these a bag of broken tiles in the garden, could i use them?!

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
it's sticky, slimey horrible orange clay. theres massive cracks appearing down the garden where its so dry, the garden is also sliding under the fence into the road.... :(

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Can you get hold of some manure and sand (pretty cheap from builders merchants - about £35 a ton) to dig in over the winter? It'll make a huge difference

8doubles

Thankyou!
does it hae to be sand?!
i wanted to this as cheap as possible, could i use something else, these a bag of broken tiles in the garden, could i use them?!

It needs to be something the plants can get their roots into to use the nutrients the polythene is holding in. You can normally get some good deals on compost about now.

savbo

you might be able to get some municipal compost made from green waste for little or no cost...

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
i dont want to prepare the soil, i want 'ready to use' as i am moving out this time next year and dont want to be disturbing plants that are producing! will have a go with the liner and compost thingys!
thankyou!

DavidT

Dig the clay over, and plant in it. Simples. :D

xx
Leafhopper on Black Russians in greenhouse - Help!!!

Started by Viv_Logan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 01, 2017, 11:25
by Viv_Logan
xx
Little yellow spider with black spotin the greenhouse?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 13:12
by Casey76
xx
Inca toms in greenhouse - black tips

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 14:54
by monkeywobbler
xx
Paper in trenches

Started by oldsod on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 00:37
by Dal

Page created in 0.636 seconds with 28 queries.