How to rein in rampant raspberries.

• 8 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
How to rein in rampant raspberries.
« on: July 16, 2010, 13:49 »
My raspberries (mostly autumn bliss) have to share the largest part of my garden plot and obviously don't like sharing very much!

I've tried slicing through the roots with a sharp spade about 2' away from the row (they are quite shallow) but some inevitably get past and produce new suckers up to 8' feet away. Bad news for the other veg!

I'm looking for a more permanent solution, and have read that burying sheet material upright around 2' into the soil at a suitable distance does the trick.

I can see that Wickes does corrugated PVCu clear plastic sheet; at 66cm wide it seems a bit wider than necessary and would cost about £17 to "fence" mine in on one side (my neighbour can worry about the other side, although I think he's probably safe!)

That's not an exorbitant amount but I was wondering whether anyone out there has a better and/or more economical plan (not skip-diving or Freecycling.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 15:05 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Swing Swang

Re: How to rein in rampant raspberries.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 14:01 »
I pull up the suckers, rather than slice with spade and manage to keep them under control without such drastic measures.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 14:06 »
I had a look at the bamboo root barriers and they are even more expensive  :ohmy:

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 15:29 »
I have the same problem with Autumn Bliss too and would be interested in any suggestions.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 15:40 »
Beginning to sound like Autumn Bliss is particularly rampant; for every sucker I pull out or hoe off another two replace it! It really is becoming rather a menace!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 15:47 »
Have you got a local shop that sells small pieces/offcuts of what I still call 'lino'. That'd would stop them I think :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 15:55 »
Good idea Mum, although I am now remembering that I had a fair bit of tough uv-stabilised PVC pond liner left over from building my pond; got a nasty feeling I chucked it up in the attic which is not a nice place to visit in my house!

Think that might do the job although "lino" would probably be easier to work with (less floppy.) Both easier to cut to size than corrugated plastic sheeting though.  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 16:08 »
I'd recommend lining the perimeter about 2 ft deep with either the metal or heavy duty lino. It will stop the existing plot you want from spreading further. As for the unwanted plants, cut the tops off short and immediately spray with glyphosphate and that will eventually get the outsiders under control. The lino or metal will have already severed the root connection so no worry about the main area. My sister who had Autumn Bliss had to do that and now she has just the small patch she wants.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 12:29 »
Thanks all!

Will try a double layer of pond liner seeing as it's to hand and see whether that holds back the tide.

If it doesn't I'll have to lengthen my arms or shorten my pockets and buy some lino!  :(

xx
Rampant raspberries

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 14:14
by Trillium
xx
Rampant Raspberries!

Started by FrogPrince on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 12:15
by prakash_mib
xx
Rampant tom's.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2021, 16:24
by KalisDad
clip
Rampant Little Gems

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 22:19
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.962 seconds with 30 queries.