Sweetcorn

• 13 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Sweetcorn
« on: July 15, 2010, 19:05 »
These winds have blown my sweetcorn over....they are now listing at 45' for goodness sake! at least the roots haven't been pulled out of the ground...yet :ohmy:

What's the best thing to do...............is it worth tying them upright to canes once the wind has dropped?
will they carry on growing do you think or is that the end of them?  >:(

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 19:20 »
My not-that-cunning plan is to surround the block with canes which I then connect with strong garden twine at about 2' high, and then corner to corner across the diagonals and through the plants. (Hard to describe, but you finish up with what looks like an "X" inside a square (or rectangle, depending on the shape of your block!)

No plant can topple more than a few degrees without being held up by its neighbour which with any luck will be leaning against the twine!

Heeling the loosened plants back in with a bit more soil to fill in the depression seems to help get them back on the straight and narrow.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 19:24 »
I staked mine up today as the outside ones were listing over but not broken. One had almost broken in half so I tried to mend it as best I could but I don't hold out much hope for that one. Then I tied string round the whole lot.  I put a bit more soil round the roots and firmed them in.
Don't know if it's connected but I took the tillers off this year, for the first time, which left the bottom bit more exposed than usual.
They looked OK and apart from the broken one I'm pretty sure they'll survive. They're already about 4' tall with flowers and cobs nicely forming. :tongue2:
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 19:26 »
My not-that-cunning plan is to surround the block with canes which I then connect with strong garden twine at about 2' high, and then corner to corner across the diagonals and through the plants. (Hard to describe, but you finish up with what looks like an "X" inside a square (or rectangle, depending on the shape of your block!)

No plant can topple more than a few degrees without being held up by its neighbour which with any luck will be leaning against the twine!

Heeling the loosened plants back in with a bit more soil to fill in the depression seems to help get them back on the straight and narrow.  :)
Thanks I hope the wind has dropped by the morning, and then I'll give your cunning plan a try  :lol:

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 20:38 »
Mine were all flattened this morning as well,woke up in the night to the sound of the wind howling and just knew I should have staked them :mad:.........any way they are staked back upright now, (horse already bolted,stable door etc etc)....but they look ok,not wilted so we will see :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 21:14 »
The wind suddenly dropped this evening, but is forecast to be back by the morning so I dashed to the plot and did a Jay-type-thingy, but with more canes :D

Didn't have enough canes to put one in for each corn, but just putting a cane in each corner didn't seem strong enough somehow  ::) Some of the corn had tillers with extra cobs and they were quite heavy.
I just hope they survive till tomorrow afternoon when the worst of the windy weather should be over. Fingers crossed !

B_and_D

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:47 »
Aye - all fourty of mine are at about 45 degrees.  Had them surrounded with a cane frame so at least they haven't gone over completely.  Need to get the twine out now and tie them back upright....hope they survive.

Have read (elsewhere, apologies) that they can right themselves after a few days - am pretty suspicious of this - anyone got any experience of corn that stands itself back upright?

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 13:11 »
My sweetcorn is all still in the greenhouse - they are about 2 and a bit feet tall!

Just not had a chance to plant them out yet - there's always something else to do!

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 16:47 »
Having had my window boxes blown of their ledges, some of my sweetcorn are listing to starboard. Never happened before even though we are in such a windy site. If I don't get any cobs this year, I will say naughty words as my OH chef freezes them and we love them to bits with baked pots and buffets etc. Shop-bought sweetcorn.............uuuuggghhhhh :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 16:50 »
Ours was knocked over, its now staked but I am not sure it will survive our site is like a wind tunnel  ???

rw3272

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 16:55 »
Very windblown sweetcorn here aswell as a wind-decapitated courgette... grrr

Courgette is a gonner but hopefully the sweetcorn will recover now it is staked.

At least courgettes are nice and productive so the two remaining plants should see us through.

Rachael

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 17:18 »
Wow two of my sweetcorn were flattened with last nights very strong wind , i've had them all stakes since they were 6" high ... i guess with all this rain its made the ground so soft  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 11:29 »
Went to check mine this morning and they are still there, not looking too bad.
At least the silks are turning brown so hopefully they will crop as normal despite their setback............fingers crossed.

The site is so windy that I think next year I will erect the canes and strings from the beginning........cos if I remember rightly, we had strong winds at this time last year?
but my corn was in the garden then so was more sheltered and undamaged.

I hope everybody's are ok now the worst is over

plum crumble

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 12:16 »
 :( as I have said on another thread, mine are all prostrate, looking very sad, like me  :( Glad I read what JayG advised - will get down there now and try to rescue.  :(
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

xx
Sweetcorn.

Started by cacran on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 11:06
by cacran
xx
sweetcorn?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 16:06
by krystal
xx
sweetcorn

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 23:52
by andy dewar
xx
Sweetcorn Help!

Started by Smudge on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 17:09
by David.

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 32 queries.